We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harare hotel recommendation for 4-day business trip

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Harare hotel recommendation for 4-day business trip

Hi, I will be traveling to Harare for business. I am a female, and this is my first time visiting a country in Africa. I was recommended by my partner there to stay at the Meikles Hotel, but after reviewing comments on the various hotels in the area, I am wondering if the Meikles is worth the extra money (versus staying at the Holiday Inn or Crowne Plaza). Can anyone advise or make a recommendation about this? I really just need somewhere CLEAN, totally safe, comfortable, and has Internet access. Thank you!

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
167 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harare hotel recommendation for 4-day business trip

Hi pearls123

Not sure when is your business trip.

However – Harare is relatively safe, like many other cities, common sense prevails. I won’t recommend anyone I care about to stay at Meikles Hotel, neither would I recommend Holiday Inn or Crowne Plaza. Do you absolutely need to stay in a hotel and in town? There is so much more to offer in terms of accommodation if you are willing to move away from town centre itself. If you NEED to stay in town, then try Bronte (they are in TA as well).

Otherwise, I’d say try the B&Bs all over Harare’s Northern Suburbs such as:

1) Thornhill Guesthouse (in Newlands – near WHO) - Ideal for anyone visiting Harare It has Internet access and is friendly, comfortable and convenient. There is also a self contained cottage for weekly or monthly bookings’ email: thornhil@zol.co.zw or phone +263-4-776406 or John on +263772 316621 for details. Link: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293760-d191627…

2) York Lodge (in Newlands – near WHO and just a few houses further from Thornhill) -: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293760-d186268…

3) Bowood Lodge (very near to the UN Office at Mt. Pleasant, walking distance): tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293760-d173564…

4) Woodlands Guest Lodge (in Borrowdale area): tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293760-d181889…

5) Jacana Gardens Guest Lodge (in Borrowdale area). I met someone from one of the UN Agencies from Geneva who is in Harare for a short mission and he stayed in this place. He only has good things to say about this place and he didn't want to leave. Link: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293760-d266404…

6) Ewa Gurney email: etgurney@yahoo.com mobile: +263 712 611 603 – Has several units of accommodation on a property with garden, fully furnished, equipped (full DSTV) and laundry. The prices vary according to size and length of proposed stay, advance payment.

7) Small guest house at Milton Park - Self contained cottage and a double room with a bathroom on suite and a self contained kitchenette. The rooms are serviced, laundry done and there is internet and DSTV. We are very lucky not to be affected by powercuts and have borehole water. It is a safe , friendly home away from home environment. Rates are dependent on length of stay. Contact: Darryl phone: +263 4 795042 or +263 772 522127 email: eafrica.lobbying@utande.co.zw

I week $80 per night

2 Weeks $70 per night

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Harare hotel recommendation for 4-day business trip

Thank you SO much for the information Karen! I will be traveling to Harare next week, and your post made me look into bed and breakfasts in the area. Do you know anything about Casa Kadiki? I have made a reservation there, because I could not get through to the other places you mentioned. I was booked at the Meikles, and have now canceled my reservation.

Thank you thank you thank you!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harare hotel recommendation for 4-day business trip

Hi Pearls

My wife and I stayed one night in Harare in August and stayed at the Bronte. Lovely hotel & grounds: you can site at a table in the garden near the pool, have a drink, and work on the internet. Good service. We only ate breakfast (good) there, so otherwise can't comment about food. .

But Karen's suggestion is certainly worth looking in to. We stayed in B&B's all around South Africa. For Harare though, we were just in and out for one night, so a hotel made sense for us.

John

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
167 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harare hotel recommendation for 4-day business trip

Hi,

I have only heard of Kadiki through TA but have not known anyone whom had actually stayed there. I can call them up for you tomorrow if you wish (we are away right now) - just to find out where they are + what internet provider they use.

Karen

5. Re: Harare hotel recommendation for 4-day business trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, December 15, 2013