We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Recent Journey

Auckland
Level Contributor
183 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Recent Journey

Have just returned from a 6 week journey around Southern Africa including driving across Zimbabwe. We travelled in a Land Rover fitted for camping. Our first stop in Zim, we stayed at Vic Falls Rest Camp for a night and went to the curio markets and the falls from there (although we camped at Livingstone and did most of our adventure activities from there). What a fantastic part of the world. A visit to the original hotel, the Victoria Falls Hotel, is a must. My kids rated the pizza and fried chicken takeaways across the road from the Rest Camp by the 7 eleven. It is, however, a little sad when you see how few tourists are there. The quality and quantity of products at the markets is very high, but the stall owners are so desperate to make a sale they don't give you room to think and it just became too much of a hassle. We then drove through Zambia to Chirundu border post to Mana Pools National Park for 2 nights and thoroughly enjoyed the wildness and serenity. Saw plenty of wildlife and we even walked through the bush tracking a lion pride and were charged at by a lioness. Then drove to Harare and stayed with a local person and had repairs carried out on our vehicle in town. We spent 4 days there and really enjoyed the feel and look of Harare. We then drove to Mutare for a night before leaving for Mozambique.

Zimbabwe is an easy country to travel in. There is now no such thing as a Zimbabwe Dollar – just US Dollars (and SA Rands). Change is occasionally given in Rand coins, when available, or, in the supermarkets, till receipt credits. When moving through the rural areas people are interested in you - they stare at and approach you – but we (wife and I and 2 teenage kids) never felt unsafe, although it took a bit of getting used to. I reckon they can’t believe their eyes - seeing a tourist in the country! Don’t get me wrong, we have travelled bit in Africa, we’re just used to people approaching and wanting to sell us something or begging. The roads are very good, fuel is readily available, supermarkets are well stocked, the people are hospitable and things in the main still do work. I did get a speeding ticket 100 metres over the border but I was speeding and was given an official receipt. Harare has a good feel to it, lovely tree lined streets, a modern-ish city centre and a safe feel. Overall, in Zimbabwe, I was expecting to see poverty, starvation, cholera, corrupt officials, political unrest - but I didn't. That's not to say it wasn't there, but you don't see it. There is a feeling that if one man and his cronies disappeared tomorrow the country could get back on it's feet.

Thanks to all that posted on this forum - it really helped before and during our travels.

Midrand
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Recent Journey

Hi, was interested to read your report. I am going to Zim for the first time later this month. What is the situation with regards to petrol - we will be driving a petrol landrover - is unleaded available?

Auckland
Level Contributor
183 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Recent Journey

Hi Taffy

Mine was a diesel Landy so never had to scout for unleaded petrol but there seemed to be petrol wherever there was diesel. I will contact a friend in Zim to get up to date info on unleaded and post when I have a reply. What route are you taking?

Do take into account that Zimbabwe is not a huge country so not huge distances to be travelled between potential fuel stations. I suggest you take a couple of jerry cans with spare petrol and if you have a long range fuel tank even better.

There is a couple of good Landrover repair shops in Harare which hopefully you won't need!

Bye for now and good luck on your trip.

Midrand
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Recent Journey

Hello, we are going from Jhb to beit bridge, staying overnight at the Lion and Elephant motel, and then on to Chewore. We will be travelling with 4 couples from SA and meeting others from Zim. They others have been there before, and are much more relaxed about the planning - for me, its my first trip to Zim and my first camping trip - so you can imagine that I am trying to get as much info as I can. We have had an extra fuel tank fitted to the landy.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Recent Journey

how was it to cross into Zim from SA. I am a UK national (from Bristol) planning to take goods over for church and school. Juat concerned about how to cross, how long it takes and safety. i dont want them nicking the items we have collected for the children.Christian

cbell@printmanagement.co.za

5. Re: Trip Report - Recent Journey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 10, 2010