We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation in Kariba

CPH
13 posts
Save Topic
Accommodation in Kariba

Hi,

I am currently planning a trip around Zimbabwe late August7early September (using public transport so let's see how far I get). One place I don't want to miss out on, however, is Kariba. Therefore I had just a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone got any recent information on the accommodation situation in Kariba - I mean which hotels/lodges/other have actually survived (besides the somewhat expensive South African run Caribbea Bay Sun)?

2. Are there any taxis available in town, or is getting around (and getting to a hotel) only possible by foot?

3. And is getting to Kariba from Harare on public buses feasible?

Thanks for any help given.

Sweden
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation in Kariba

1 You can stay at several different places depending on your budget. There are places for campers as well as luxury tourists. Carribea Bay actually has cabanas that are less then the hotel (75 US vs 100 US), that is for a double. Otherwise Cutty Sark Hotel is somewhat less expensive. Then there are lodges that can go as low as 10-20 US. Remember that Kariba is so big, everything does not circle around Carribea Bay Resort.

2 Can´t remember that I saw any taxis, but we had our own transport.

3 I think you can take commuters.

Cheers!

CPH
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation in Kariba

Hi,

Great - big thank you for this help. Can I ask you when you were there?

I know that the town is really spread out, having to do some (tiring) walking getting around. Is walking around safe? I am thinking mostly about animals.

Jacped

Sweden
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation in Kariba

We were there sometime middle of July, can´t remember exactly. There are small "villages"/communities here and there. The actual town is very high up and its also small. You can stay there but then I would suggest a car. Walking around is possible, but you will have to like walking. There are baboons, zebras and some elephants there but I would say your safe if you keep some distance. We saw plenty of people walking around. All animals can be dangerous if the get surprised or if you corner them. If you leave them, they will most often leave you. Be careful with swimming in the lake though.

It might be possible to hitch hike too. We picked up several people that way,and hitched ourselves too. Its quite common in Zimbabwe.

4. Re: Accommodation in Kariba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 05, 2010