We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VolunteerAdventures / Zimbabwe / August 2008

Ottawa
2 posts
Save Topic
VolunteerAdventures / Zimbabwe / August 2008

Hello, my brother is signed on to volunteer in the Hwange National Park in north west Zimbabwe in August of this year.

With the current political climate of the region do you experts think he has made a potentially life threatening decision.

To give you a bit of background, my brother is 21, from Ottawa, Canada and will be traveling alone for the first time.

Thanks very much for reading.

Ottawa
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: VolunteerAdventures / Zimbabwe / August 2008

Update:

He has been sent a package offering a full refund, or the ability to volunteer somewhere else in the world.

san diego
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: VolunteerAdventures / Zimbabwe / August 2008

I volunteered in Hwange September two years ago...what agency is your brother going with and where will he be staying? I went with Africa Impact and stayed at a Miombo, outside the park in the direction of Dete. Give me more details and I will talk with our guide, who has become "shirt-tail" family ;D He worked in Hwange, but now is in Antelope Park and Lion Encounter near Gweru due to lack of volunteers & tourists in Hwange.

I cannot tell you how terrible it is because the people and their children are amazing. And the ANIMALS!!! The air and light, it's like the beginning of a new, never-before day. I could not believe how beautiful wild dogs were. The colors and patterns are like breathtaking contemporary art. We saw a medium herd of sable in the late afternoon and it was like coming upon an illustration of a magical forest from a childhood book.

I'll try to find out the latest, but my advice is stay away from the military. politics, and just say your not interested in any politics, even ours....AND GO!

mzcuriouz, ramona,ca

3. Re: VolunteerAdventures / Zimbabwe / August 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, October 03, 2009