We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to determine if we should cancel our trip to Tunis

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to determine if we should cancel our trip to Tunis

We (2 Canadian femails) have planned a trip to Tunis, set to land next Friday September 21st..

The current news feeds are rather unsettling as we planned to use Tunis as our home-base, staying at one of the major hotels in the city core.

Is there anyone currently in Tunis who can provide insight into the current situation and unrest? We have a few days to decide whether to cancel or not.

Thanks!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Trying to determine if we should cancel our trip to Tunis

As an American 50ish woman traveling alone, I am also re evaluating my decision to spend 11 days in Tunisia (travel dates 7-17 Oct 2012) after a short stay in Dubai.

Typically, security is at an all time high right after acts of terrorism. However, the anger seems to be lazer focused exclusively at Americans. Of course, if I go, I would not discuss politics, not tell others that I am an American (but would be required to show my USA passport at hotels) and hope that people would assume me to be Canadian.

12. Re: Trying to determine if we should cancel our trip to Tunis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, September 16, 2012
13. Re: Trying to determine if we should cancel our trip to Tunis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, September 16, 2012
2 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Trying to determine if we should cancel our trip to Tunis

I'm due to go to skanes on 22nd September everyone says we will be fine but I'm still worried as taking my 7 yr old daughter :/

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,254 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Trying to determine if we should cancel our trip to Tunis

Dont be Liseelou

Skanes ?

That is about as far away from Tunis as you can get.

I live in Edinburgh. The riots in London didnt affect us :)

Any protests in Tunis will not affect your holiday in Skanes.

Which hotel are you going to ?

I was in Skanes a few months ago.

May be able to advise you.

Regards

Mick

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Trying to determine if we should cancel our trip to Tunis

We where booked to go the last time it kicked of.

We didnt know that our trip was called off

until we came on this forum.

other people got emails and we didnt get any from thomas cook.

We got on the phone to thomas cook ,who said its fine theres nothing wrong

after numerous phone calls etc ,we were told if we cancel we lose our money

So we waited got the email ,after a few hours ringing round our money was returned.

So if anything let the Goverment decide if you can go

we where also in sharm when it kicked of

seen a lot of worried people in the hotel ,But we were fine .

2 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Trying to determine if we should cancel our trip to Tunis

Thank you we are staying in the el mouradi skanes x

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,254 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Trying to determine if we should cancel our trip to Tunis

There are two threads on the forum discussing this.

i posted this on "Trouble in Tunis" also

This is the latest update from FCO

"Travel advice for Britons travelling to countries such as Tunisia and Egypt remains unchanged despite a string of attacks on US consulates, embassies and business interests."

They go on to say.....

“We strongly recommend that British nationals avoid all forms of demonstration. While many protests pass without incident there is the possibility of injury if you are caught up in a demonstration that does not remain peaceful.

“If you become aware of any nearby violence you should leave the area immediately and keep yourself informed of developments by checking the news, observing the instructions given by the security authorities and/or your tour operator and regularly check this advice.”

Edited: 3:42 am, September 17, 2012
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,254 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Trying to determine if we should cancel our trip to Tunis

Hi Ben

Please keep us informed of any ongoing issues we may need to know about. And please put others visitors minds at rest.

Those who are going soon to places like Sousse, Pek, and Skanes/Monastir.

Regards

Mick

Edited: 2:49 pm, September 17, 2012
Sao Paulo, SP
1 post
Save Reply
20. Re: Trying to determine if we should cancel our trip to Tunis

We are in tunis and I couldnt see any incident. But, you need to take care about violence in the street. My wife was stolen in Medina, yestarday . Itwo teenagers attacked her and took out her neckless.