We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Tunis, Tunisia

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
167 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Tunis, Tunisia

If I have one day to visit something outside of Tunis, what would it be?

Hammeratt? Sousse? El Jem?

What are your thoughts???

Wiltshire
Destination Expert
for Sousse, Port El Kantaoui
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Tunis, Tunisia

EL JEM EL JEM EL JEM !!! its a must see ancient site with a wonderful museum as well as the Arena which is amazing.You can get there easy by train from Tunis it will be a full day.Go to the museum first. Leave the train station turn left past the mosque then second left.Down the street on the right you will see the museum with the Tunisian flag over it. When you pay you pay for both sites so keep your tickets to get into the Arena. from the museum retrace your steps to the station area and down the street you will see the Arena. There are several shops & cafes there.

fahrplancenter.com/HorairesSNCFThiver.html

This link will show you the times but check as they may have changed. Book first class and get to the station in good time to buy your tickets. They take their time !

LIGNE 5 TUNIS - BIR BOU REGBA (-NABEUL) - SOUSSE (-MAHDIA) - EL JEM - SFAX - GRAÏBA - GABÈS

Use this list.

Edited: 2:36 pm, October 05, 2010
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
167 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Tunis, Tunisia

Thanks. Couple of questions.

(1) If I do the 6AM train out of Tunis, I get to El Jem at 9AM.

Is that a direct train ride?

(2) Is this what I use for the way back?

(LIGNE 5 GABÈS - GRAÏBA - SFAX - EL JEM - (MAHDIA-) SOUSSE - (NABEUL-) BIR BOU REGBA - TUNIS)

(3) If I do the early train ride and go to El Jem and the museum. How much time am I looking to spend there?

(4) If El Jem/Museum is a few hours of looking around, can I stop somewhere on the train ride on the way home back to Tunis?

Where do you recommend? Sousse?

Thanks again for all of your help!!!

Wiltshire
Destination Expert
for Sousse, Port El Kantaoui
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Tunis, Tunisia

Yes it is a direct train. Same coming back. whether you stop off at Sousse or not will depend on when you wish to get back to Tunis. I am unsure if you can break your journey once on the train.The walk to the Museum 15 minutes to look at the museum plus the villa outside an 1.5 hours if your into ancient stuff. The walk to the Arena 30 minutes perhaps a little less. Then to see the Arena properly 1 hour so you could spend just under 3 hours then get a decent time train back.But that will be up to you. Dont forget travel first class or comfort class if you can get it

THe cost of the two venues the last time I was there was 8 denars plus a denar per camera per person. You may have to pay another denar for the camera at the arena but we did not. I have been to El Jem many times and love it every time.Dont forget to check the times of the trains as the web site has not been updated from June times.

4. Re: Day trip from Tunis, Tunisia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 05, 2011