We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Tunisia like Egypt?

Suffolk
Level Contributor
163 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Is Tunisia like Egypt?

I keep getting emails for great deals on 4 & 5 star hotels at good prices in Tunisia. I have been to Egypt and although i loved the hotel, hotel staff and food I was not so keen on not being able to walk around the town due to being harrassed by children and men asking for money and other things i wont repeat!! In general is Tunisia as bad for begging and other comments towards young women?

Mentioned in this post
Tunisia
Tunisia
Africa
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Hotel Manar
Hotel Manar
#1 of 119 hotels in Hammamet
La Badira
La Badira
#2 of 119 hotels in Hammamet
TUI SENSIMAR Scheherazade
TUI SENSIMAR Scheherazade
#1 of 36 hotels in Sousse
Southampton, England
Level Contributor
3,847 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Tunisia like Egypt?

I have not been to Egypt, but i heard its on another level. You will get shops beckoning you in and a few scammers, but nothing that bad. Never had anyone out and out ask for money. I have always found the Tunisians to be very friendly and polite, but in all honesty sometimes you wonder if its just an angle on the contents of one's wallet. I have never felt intimidated or disrespected Tunisia.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Tunisia like Egypt?

Borrow a copy of Lonely Planet or Rough Guide from your local library. You'll find a section on dangers, scams and general annoyances.

You'll also find advice specifically for the benefit of women travellers in Tunisia.

Follow the advice and you'll be alright.

Mentioned in this post
Tunisia
Tunisia
Africa
southampton
Level Contributor
100 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Tunisia like Egypt?

yes and no. i went to egypt last year, and was dissapointed in their attitude towards women. heard things about people being locked in shops, threatened at knife point. although we never encountered this, i felt uneasy sometimes. i went to tunisia several times some years ago, and found that although they can hassle you to buy from shops etc, they don't treat women holidaymakers like they do sometimes in egypt. i think they are strict there and value their jobs more.

southampton
Level Contributor
100 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Tunisia like Egypt?

yes and no. i went to egypt last year, and was dissapointed in their attitude towards women. heard things about people being locked in shops, threatened at knife point. although we never encountered this, i felt uneasy sometimes. i went to tunisia several times some years ago, and found that although they can hassle you to buy from shops etc, they don't treat women holidaymakers like they do sometimes in egypt. i think they are strict there and value their jobs more.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,201 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Tunisia like Egypt?

I have been to Sharm and Hurghada and Tunisia twice and in comparison to Egypt we found no hassle.

People may ask you to come into their restaruant but a polite No Thankyou is enough.

We have been in March for the last 2 years and hope to return this March.

We wandered around the Medina in Sousse and were not hassled at all.

When I go to areas other than the hotel grounds i always dress accordingly.

I only go to Turkey,Tunisia and Egypt and find Tunisia to have less hassle than the other 2 places.

There are some fabulous hotels and the people are really lovely.

Mentioned in this post
Hurghada
Hurghada
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Tunisia
Tunisia
Africa
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Sousse
Sousse
Sousse Governorate, Tunisia
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Tunisia like Egypt?

Knitter

You'd make a great guide round the souks, not quite sure why though. Explain?

Dressing accordingly is?? It does help to say what that is!

Less hassle! Meaning what, where, and how to deal with it?

Fabulous hotels? Is really does help to say which hotel(s), and why!!

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
307 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Tunisia like Egypt?

I went to Egypt last year - a woman alone - all I got was hassle the whole time. Tunisia is similar to Egypt but a lot less hassle, you say no and walk away but in Egypt they just follow you. I've been to many places but Egypt was the worse place for hassle, the only time I would return is with my husband. I've been to Tunisia many times alone and never had a problem. I shall be there again in Feb.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Tunisia
Tunisia
Africa
Suffolk
Level Contributor
163 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Tunisia like Egypt?

Thank you for your replies, i feel i would like to try Tunisia some day although seeing as this is going to be my only holiday this year i may try somewhere boring and samey where i know i wont get too much hassle! Certainly sounds better than Egypt though and for the price of some of the luxury looking hotels will be worth trying one day.

Mentioned in this post
Tunisia
Tunisia
Africa
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Djerba
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Tunisia like Egypt?

Hello,

Allow me to answer your question and ensure you

Djerba, a wonderful touristic island southern tunisia is known as the best of touristic destinations.

There, the touristic area is a little bit far from common residential places : you can rest on the beach and won't see many tunisians.

Furthermore, people there are very educated and have a good standard of live, so you won't see anyone asking for money, of that you can be sure.

Just to end up, i can give you some good adresses for hotel bookings at a very good price.

Do not hesitate to contact me in private

Mentioned in this post
Djerba Island
Djerba Island
Medenine Governorate, Tunisia
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Tunisia like Egypt?

I've never been to Egypt so can't really compare but I've heard it can get pretty bad there with the hassling of woman.

I've travelled in Tunisia on my own and also with friends and have always felt 100% safe (I'm female). You do get a bit of hassle when out and about from random men in the street but simply a "no thanks or I'm not interested in being your special friend" is normally enough for them to leave you alone. I have only experianced one occasion when this did not work and me and one of my female friends were followed whilst walking to Sousse medina, eventually 2 other random Tunisian men realised what was happening and intervened. The general population do look out for you whilst there as they are really nice people.

Regarding hassle when walking by shops - they will try to get you into their shops....will walk out and try to talk you into looking in their shops. Again, "no thanks" or "i'm busy" etc etc etc are usually enough but one thing I have noticed in all the cities is that often if you say "no thanks" they will say to you "no no, I just want to ask you a question. Can you tell me what blahblah costs in your country". the "blahblah" part is usually either made up words or in arabic as they expect that your normal reaction to this is "sorry, i don't understand what you are talking about" then they ask you to come see it in their shop, therefore have succeeded in getting you into the shop and will now try to sell you things. My usual reply when asked this question is "ohhh around 10 dinar" which completely stumps most of them :D

Sorry for rattling on heheh

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Tunisia
Tunisia
Africa
Sousse
Sousse
Sousse Governorate, Tunisia
Get answers to your questions about Tunisia