We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jozani Forest and...

Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Jozani Forest and...

hey guys,

i was planning to go to Jozani forest for a whole day (or less if that's what it taks).

anyway, i came acrros this resturant calls "The Rock" at Michanwi Pingwe beach and i realy want to go there so i thought maybe we can combine this two places in one day. first traveling to the forest and then to "the rock"

i have no idea where and how to find a driver that will take us to those palces from stone town and get us back to the hotel at night.

i will highly appriciate your advices,

and also does anyone knows how much is the entrance fee at Jozani forest?

many thanks

annabelle

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jozani Forest and...

Try this man. Very reliable and trustworthy.

jumataxi@hotmail.com jumataxi@yahoo.com

A tour of Jozani is good for half a day or more. There is also a swamp walk and a Turtle Rescue centre nearby.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jozani Forest and...

A friend and I visited Jozani forest independently, using local transportation. It took a bit to figure out, but for the price that organized tours and private transport were charging, we think it was well worth the effort and extra adventure. I think we each paid around $6 or 7usd for the round trip transportation via dalla dalla. The forest entrance fee was around $15 if I remember correctly, which included a guide (additionally, we tipped him afterwards). We spent a couple of hours at the actual park itself. We began our attempt to leave stonetown early afternoon (took us a while to find the correct bus) and returned by sunset (we probably waited for a half an hour at the side of the road outside the park entrance for a dalla dalla that wasn't full to pick us up). I am not sure about the Rock, but you can definitely visit the forest in half a day and combine it with something else for the other half day.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jozani Forest and...

Strange that my reply at #1 has been removed. It was well within guidelines.

Try again. The best time to visit Jozani is early morning before the mass visits commence from the coast.

The Colobus monkeys are more active then and approachable. A good guide will show you around for the entrance fee and a tip. Also worth seeing is the board walk through the Mangroves and a Turtle Rehab centre.

During our stay in Zanzibar, at Mbweni Ruins Hotel just out of Stonetown, we were recommended to use Juma for running about. He has a modern 'people carrier' and his rates were reasonable. He was a good driver and very helpful. He can be contacted at jumataxi@hotmail.com or jumataxi@yahoo.com He is freelance. For everyones benefit, I have no connection with Juma other than as a satisfied client and this recommendation is solely for the benefit of the OP in answering her question.

We also went down to ride with the Dolphins at his own village too.

I cannot help with the "Rock" as I don't know it.

Padua, Italy
Level Contributor
24,685 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jozani Forest and...

Hi Annabelle. The wonderful restaurant The Rock is not very far from the Jozani forest an then you can combine both the excursion and the lunch at The Rock. However I recommend you to take a taxi because the timing of the dala dala is very "african". The negotiation of the price of the taxi is necessary, but for an unforgettable day, the price is no more than 45/50$ and you will have the driver at your disposal all day, without prior times

5. Re: Jozani Forest and...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, May 17, 2015