We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Serengeti Itinerary Advice - Seronera as a base for 10 days?

Addis Ababa...
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Serengeti Itinerary Advice - Seronera as a base for 10 days?

I am traveling to the Serengeti for 10 days or so this May and have a couple of questions about planning an itinerary.

We are staying in the park offices in Seronera (through a friend) and I'm wondering if we can use that as a base, doing day trips from there but still manage to see most of the park? Or do we need to be staying at a different place every night in order to cover the park? We are happy to spend a couple of nights out of Seronera if that makes for a better experience and would probably enjoy camping for a night or two if that is recommended!

I think we will fly into and out of Arusha (unless it makes more sense for us to do otherwise) as we'll be carrying on to Zanzibar afterwards.

Is 10 days enough time to include Lake Manyara and Tarangire?

Anyone have any recommendations for an itinerary? I live in Ethiopia with very limited internet so I'm struggling to find enough information online myself.

Thanks!

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
373 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Serengeti Itinerary Advice - Seronera as a base for 10 days?

10 days is ore than enough time to see Lake Manyara and Tarangire, as well as the Serengeti but distances are long on bumpy dirt roads so it's not really feasible to make Seronera your base for everything. You will be better off moving around. And, yes, You will want to fly into Arusha to start. Driving from there, most people would go to Tarangire first, then Manyara, then Serengeti.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Serengeti Itinerary Advice - Seronera as a base for 10 days?

You might want to drive with a guide one way to or from the Sewrengeti, stopping at Tarangire or Manyara, and the crater on the way. Once you are in the Serengeti, you can take day trips to different areas of the park. 10 days would be enough for this.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,014 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Serengeti Itinerary Advice - Seronera as a base for 10 days?

If coming from Ethiiopia you have to fly into Kilimannjaro/JRO the intl airport for immigration/Visas. Arusha is 1/hr west of JRO.

As above, best to arrange a guide/vehicle to get you around the country and even when in the Serengeti which overalll is the size of Switzerland where great distances have to be covered over nasty roads, little if any signage And for sure you can't just be walking about at you're immediately a meal for predators. . Besides arranging a place to put your head each night to sleep.

Addis Ababa...
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Serengeti Itinerary Advice - Seronera as a base for 10 days?

Thanks for you advice, everyone.

Here is our updated itinerary - this will be done with a tour operator

Day 1: Arusha to Tarangire

Day 2: Tarangire to Lake Manyara

Day 3: Manyara to Ngorongoro

Day 4: Ngorongoro to Serengeti

Day 5: Serengeti

Day 6: Serengeti

The tour operator will then drop us in Seronera at the guest house and we'll have 3 days to hang out/explore. On day 10 we'll fly from Seronera to Zanzibar via Arusha.

Should we spend two nights in Tarangire? Or do you think one is enough?

Does this itinerary sound about right? Anything I'm missing?

Thanks!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,436 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Serengeti Itinerary Advice - Seronera as a base for 10 days?

Folks often write the itinerary as you do, but what is key is what you are seeing in the daytime and how to leverage your time. Where are you staying in Serengeti before the guest house? Because it might affect when you see the Crater to maximize your time there.

So, this would be manageable and maximize your Tarangire NP. Also, moving on to the next spot the night before allows you to maximize the early cooler and more active morning game drive hours.

Day 1, depart Arusha early, afternoon and overnight Tarangire NP

Day 2, Tarangire NP, overnight Manyara NP area

Day 3, Lake Manyara NP, overnight Crater rim lodge

Day 4, early descent into Crater, visit, o/n Serengeti

If you wanted to maximize your Crater hours (which now seem to be allowed longer than the 6 hour limit of years past), then you can consider this (it will cost more and reduce time in Manyara, by the way)

Day 1, depart Arusha early, afternoon and overnight Tarangire NP

Day 2, transit to and game drive Manyara NP, overnight Crater rim lodge

Day 3, day in the Crater, overnight Crater rim lodge

Day 4, transit to Serengeti

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,071 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Serengeti Itinerary Advice - Seronera as a base for 10 days?

I personally would stick with QMs first choice, as I would prefer more time in Tarangire.

Just an aside to QM-I finally read your trip report-great details-I want to visit that marketplace-sorry, but I will never be a birder-your PM is turned off and couldn't respond privately.

Apologies to the poster for hijacking your thread.

Hagerman, Idaho
Level Contributor
763 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Serengeti Itinerary Advice - Seronera as a base for 10 days?

The best animal viewing is in the early morning and end of the day. If you leave Arusha (I am hoping this is not also the day you arrive in Tanzania, it is still a long flight even if no time change) and drive to Tarangire you will not have enough time to see much of the park. Driving the next day to Manyara you again miss the early morning when the birds and animals are most active, though you will at least have a full day. I agree with Quiltingmama to spend the night in TNP and the following day there and then head to MNP for a night and a full day. The drive to NCA is on a paved road and you can have a day in MNP and still make dinner on the rim. I agree you want to stay on the rim, get down there in the am and have a full day but no way would I then leave the crater and drive to SNP. That is a long hot dusty drive that needs to be during daylight hours and it cuts into NCA which deserves 2 full days. Wake up, explore some more of the crater til lunch and then head to SNP or wake up and head out in the AM for Serengeti, maybe stopping at Ndutu Lodge area for lunch to view the Lake Masek/Ndutu wildlife. Trust me, you will be disappointed that you did not give yourself more at NCA. I can understand wanting to save money and visit a friend working in Serengeti, but I would double and triple check that you have permission to stay there in the park housing. You do not want to get there and find out you have no where to stay-at the gate they will ask where you are staying in the park if you say you are going for several nights. While in SNP you can use Seronera as a base and visit Mwanza and Lake Victoria which is a pretty lake with ferries to various islands and yummy tilapia. You will want to fly into Kili (where all the international flights go) rather than Arusha (a very small airport). Zanzibar is amazing and I am glad to see you are making time for it!

Addis Ababa...
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Serengeti Itinerary Advice - Seronera as a base for 10 days?

Thanks so much for the advice. We're going to stay two nights in Ngorongoro - that way we can enjoy the full day in Manyara, then a full day in the crater and then head over to the Serengeti.

Sound about right?

Thanks again!

Hagerman, Idaho
Level Contributor
763 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Serengeti Itinerary Advice - Seronera as a base for 10 days?

I think you will be happy having the time to experience those two parks before heading to SNP. Enjoy!

10. Re: Serengeti Itinerary Advice - Seronera as a base for 10 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 04, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Serengeti National Park