We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Direct flight from Kogatende to Dar es Salaam?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
902 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Direct flight from Kogatende to Dar es Salaam?

We are ending our safari near the Kogatende airstrip and are departing from Dar es Salaam. I cannot believe what is being proposed to us to exit Tanzania.....leave in the morning from Kogatende, fly to Dar via Zanzibar and Arusha, arrive in the evening, get a hotel and spend the night and waste a whole other day waiting for our 4:45 pm departure.

I have been searching and cannot find any alternative. There has got to be another way! Please tell me I can find a way to leave Kogatende in the morning and make it to Dar for our 4:45 departure!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Direct flight from Kogatende to Dar es Salaam?

You can try various other flights, but this is probably what you will need to do. Don't cut anything short and get there at the last minute to catch your flight. There are many posts on here about people (typically coming from Zanzibar) who have last minute problems with their flights and miss their connecting flight back home.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Direct flight from Kogatende to Dar es Salaam?

Coastal leaves Kogatende at 9.45 to arrive DAR at 14.20. That should give you 2 hours to change to catch your international flight. No way would I risk it though!

It is a long flight in a small plane with at least two intermediate landings.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,912 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Direct flight from Kogatende to Dar es Salaam?

TIA - this is Africa. There are few 'non-stop' flights to anywhere internally.

A direct flight will have stops somewhere, as even from KOG you might stop at Seronera and Lake Manyara before arriving at Arusha where you change planes and continue. And if routing (as mfuwe mentions if using Coastal) you stop at ZNZ first and then DAR... that's it.

Besides Coastal, believe Regional also flies this route.

If you don't want thiese puddle hoppers, then ask about a 'charter' flight and you'll pay for the priviledge.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Direct flight from Kogatende to Dar es Salaam?

It is really one of logistics and aircraft positioning.

You cannot leave an aircraft out on an airstrip in Serengeti. If the Hyenas does not chew the tyres and Ellie might take the wings. Or a sudden storm may just tip it over.

So faced with that the planes are routed IN to the Serengeti in the Morning from Arusha, usually, to arrive around 8.30. They bring in the clients to fill the beds you just got out of.

So planes leave Serengeti to head east from 9am onwards. Various flights then consolidate at Arusha.

Then the Arusha plane heads east to Zanzibar taking all those who now seem to need a beach. And on to DAR.

No jets of course, the ground is too soft. I have seen Cessna's struggling for speed after rain.

And Charters would not solve it as unless you pay for two days they will still have to come out from Arusha for you as they will be reluctant to overnight in the Serengeti.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
902 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Direct flight from Kogatende to Dar es Salaam?

What about if we reverse the order of our itinerary and go from JRO to North Serengeti, on to Central Serengeti and go to the Crater last.

Would we be able to leave Crater area to make it to Dar for our 4:45 pm flight?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Direct flight from Kogatende to Dar es Salaam?

I doubt it. You will still be on the same morning plane. but a charter may be more flexible on that distance.

How many in your party. We found that with 6 pax , charter was actually cheaper than 6 x Fare.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,912 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Direct flight from Kogatende to Dar es Salaam?

mfuwe is spot on.

There are only morning and afternoon flights and from KOG no afternoon inbound or outbound as guests have to had checked out by 10am.

Even if rerouting and wanting to fly from NGO, know there is no airstrip here that is used as it's often fogged in; closest airstrip is 2./.hrs farther east at Lake Manyara.

Am I assuming correctly you selected DAR for homebound (or if even inbound) as the fare was lower? If so, guess it doesn't always work out to your benefit. DAR works if visiting the southern parks and/or concluding at Zanzibar

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
902 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Direct flight from Kogatende to Dar es Salaam?

Wow! No, 4sandi, your assumption is wrong. We chose Dar because we wanted to stopover some place new for a few days (Dubai) on the way home instead of Amsterdam or another EU city. Plus we have never flown Emirates and wanted to give it a try. But I don't see what that has to do with anything, as we already have our tickets.

Thanks, mfuwe. Great idea! We are a party of 5. I will ask our operator about hiring a charter flight.

9. Re: Direct flight from Kogatende to Dar es Salaam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 20, 2014