We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alex walkers Serian vs. and Beyond's Serengeti under canvas

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Alex walkers Serian vs. and Beyond's Serengeti under canvas

Which of these two should we choose?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,912 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Alex walkers Serian vs. and Beyond's Serengeti under canvas

What time of year? Month?

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,259 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alex walkers Serian vs. and Beyond's Serengeti under canvas

Where is Alex Walkers Serian? Isn't it in the hunting block /Game Controlled Area outside the park near Ndutu.

Edited: 4:18 pm, October 21, 2013
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alex walkers Serian vs. and Beyond's Serengeti under canvas

I believe Serian is up in the Mara area near the Kenyan border. It was proposed to me by one of the TOs I've been talking to about a July safari, but is out of my price range

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,259 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Alex walkers Serian vs. and Beyond's Serengeti under canvas

Thanks Bill.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,912 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Alex walkers Serian vs. and Beyond's Serengeti under canvas

Serian Camp is located in the Mara North Conservancy, north of the Reserve itself and in the expensive price range.

The Serian Camp that noexpert refers is in Tanzania on the Maswa conservancy south of Ndutu which area is better in Dec-Mar, so your TO is referring to the above camp in the Mara.

As regards the Serengeti Under Canvas/SUC camp is located in various areas of the Serengeti, so depends on where they'll be sited during time of your visit. This latter camp is lovely but quite expensive.

So this query isn't 'versus' rather two different areas and both xcellent. But ask: what is the balance of itinerary besides Mara and/or Serengeti?

If choosing both a camp in the Mara and Serengeti, what means of transport between the two is the TO offering? Sure hope not by road which will take an entire day. There is a flight, available at about $575/pp.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alex walkers Serian vs. and Beyond's Serengeti under canvas

Alex Walker has a Kenyan and Tanzanian product, he actually has 2 camps in Tanzania, one at Ndutu and one in Maswa, the Ndutu camp then moves to the Mara river and the Maswa camp becomes a private all inclusive camp.

The Kenyan camps are separate from the Tanzanian camp and they are yes in Mara north conservancy. The Kenyan camps are 3 fold, a main camp on the Mara River (Mara north) a bush camp in the same conservancy and then their tree house overlooking the river. So very different.

The Serian camps are backed up by incredible guiding and a real passion for Africa, they are managed well and have good locations. Real people and the type that would borrow you diesel and not charge you money for it.

&Beyond is also great, I would prefer a walk from camp with Serian, they both would have good locations.

Much of a muchness probably, your choice would not have a wrong answer if I have to say it that way.

Enjoy

Carel

7. Re: Alex walkers Serian vs. and Beyond's Serengeti under canvas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 10, 2014