We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanzania Safari

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Tanzania Safari

We are Marriott members taking a safari starting and ending in Nairobi with Collette Tours. They have an extension at the end of the tour to Tanzania but we are under no obligation to book the extension with them. Can anyone recommend a tour company we could book individually to and from Nairobi - about a five day trip that would take us on a Serengeti Migration Safari. Thanks

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanzania Safari

If you go back to the Tanzania forum and look to the right top Questions 4th post down there is a list of tour operators you can email and see what they offer.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,841 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanzania Safari

Whlst it can be done in 5 days I would seriously consider whether it was worth the effort. Much as I love Tanzania I suggest you save your money for a proper full length trip to this country.

Five days.

One to get there from NBO, plus visa and Yellow Fever jabs, three on the ground to see all the wonders of Ngorongoro and the Serengeti. One to return to NBO.

You don't state a time of year. This has a huge bearing on how and where to go.

3. Re: Tanzania Safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, July 15, 2013
4. Re: Tanzania Safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, July 15, 2013
nyc
Level Contributor
14,473 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanzania Safari

When are you traveling? month?

Where are you visiting on the Kenya tour?

What does Marriot have to do with anything? Don't believe there is one in either Kenya or Tanzania, but might be wrong (haven't seen any).

With 5/days, figure 1/day travel to/from Kenya whether by road (cheap but long, or air expensive in the $300/pp one way) - these countries aren't near as close as they appear on a map. Then there's another USD$100 Visa, yellow fever inoc (costly) and proof of same to enter Tanzania. Leaves about 3/days and unless you fly into/out of the Serengeti (adding more flight closts), difficult. You might be able to visit Tarangire (an elephant park) and/or Ngorongoro Crater.... that's about it.

Vilnius, Lithuania
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanzania Safari

This is my photos from Tanzania (also photos from Serengeti National Park) and Zanzibar http://www.beta-cloud.net/en/~ramas/shares.html?shareid=7&viewid=1

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,841 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tanzania Safari

Thank you for sharing these Ramas. very nice.

but few people will see them buried in this thread so why not post the link in a new thread?

head it "Pictures of my Safari" or something like that and lots will love to share your pictures.

Best wishes.

Old Moshi...
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tanzania Safari

Your best bet may be to fly into serengeti, stay there for four days and fly out. Check with the smaller airlines for schedules and pricing. Or look for a TO that specializes in that type of safari.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tanzania Safari

You can get Registered Travel agent from Tanzania Tourist Board list. www.tanzaniatouristboard.com

nj
Level Contributor
118 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tanzania Safari

I just came back from 11 days in the Tanzania, and I connected there via Nairobi. The question of whether or not to go really depends on what matters to you, and your resources. For some people, the cost of extra flights, yellow fever vaccine (which you probably already got if you were spending time in Kenya), etc. are prohibitive. For others, they are well worth it to experience an extraordinary place. If it were me, and I had the money and time, I would not hesitate, particularly if you are not sure when you would get back again.

We used Asilia Tours to organize our trip, and I was very impressed with them. They are located in Tanzania, and are a solid, sizable, organization.

Given your short time frame, I would maximize use of planes to see more stuff and reduce time on the road. There are several air services that fly small 15 seater planes from one camp to another on scheduled routes. Generally, the flights take no more than an hour to an hour and a half.

We flew early in the morning from Nairobi to Kilimanjaro, and then transferred to Arusha for one night, before venturing out to our first park. However, you might be able to make a connecting flight out of Arusha without having to overnight there. That way you could get back to the bush asap.

Where to go depends greatly on when you go. For example, we caught the Wildebeest migration in the northern Serengeti in Lamai, just before the beesties crossed into the Mara. At some point they will make their way back south. If you go in Feb/ March, Ndutu in the south is a great place, as many animals have their babies then, with all the accompanying activity. We really enjoyed Taringere and saw a huge number of Elephants, lots of giraffes and zebras, etc. But once the rains come, many of the animals leave the marsh there as water is more freely available everywhere. And of course, Ngorogoro Crater is an exceptional place, if often crowded.

You could easily spend two days in two locations, depending on how your connections work.

When we flew home, we left the Northern Serengeti at 9:30 am, arrived at Kilimanjaro at 12:30 after several stops, and caught a plane to Nairobi at 3.

If you call Asilia (or any other operator) they can go through options. If you have any questions you'd like to ask me, please feel free to contact me.

Tanzania is an extraordinary place. If you like the whole safari thing, why not take advantage of your ability to add it to the mix.