We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I do a safari that includes Tanzania and Kenya

San Francisco...
7 posts
Save Topic
Can I do a safari that includes Tanzania and Kenya

I am thinking of a safari starting in Arusha and visiting Tarangire, Ngorongoro conservancy, Serengeti and would also like to include the Olare Orok Covservancy in Masai Mara and also would like to see crocs at the river. I am considering going in Oct/Nov. Any opinions on that? We don't have a time limit. I was think 12-14 days. Too long?? Not long enough?? I want to have an occasional "down" day to just relax and soak it all in. Can we use Arusha operator/driver and go into Kenya? Then plan to fly to Zanzibar from Serengeti to end with a little R&R. So excited to go. And thank you to everyone who posts about their trips. It is so much fun to read and makes the planning really exciting.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,646 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Can I do a safari that includes Tanzania and Kenya

You can actually visit both the Masai Mara and Serengeti and include Zanzibar, with a combo fly/drive safari as:

Day 1 - Arv. Nairobi/NBO (most flight arrive evening, so) - o/n

Day 2 - Fly to Masai Mara, Olare Orok - o/n

Days 3 & 4 - Masai Mara

Day 5 - Fly Mara to No. Serengeti - o/n

Days 6 & 7 - No. Serengeti

Day 8 - Fly to Lake Manyara, have Tanzania guide/vehicle meet you here for road transfer to Ngorongoro - o/n

Day 9 - Ngo - morning crater tour (these limited to 6/hrs) - short drive to Karatu for 'down' time, where you can relax, do walks, bike riding, school/orphanage visit - o/n

Day 10 - Drive to Tarangire - o/n

Day 11 - Tarangire

Day 12 - Drive to Arusha/ARK airport for flight to Zanzibar/ZNZ; met/transfer to beach resort

Days 13 & 14 - ZNZ

Day 15 - Transfer to ZNZ airport for flight to Dar-es-Salaam/DAR (southern Tanzania*) for homebound flight

* you can book an 'open jaw' ticket - arrive NBO/depart DAR - look at KLM, Emirates, Swiss, Ethiopian - these all offer them and fares are often better than a simple return ticket.

You can enjoy 'down' time in the Mara or No. Serengeti as you're not obligated to go out on every game drive.

We visited this past late-Oct/early-Nov and found the herds at both the No. Serengeti and Masai Mara; there's no guarantee from year-to-year exactly where and/or when the herds move or just stay, often even go back-n-forth between both countries.

It's an option if you feel you might never return.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,959 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Can I do a safari that includes Tanzania and Kenya

Carol B

You do have a lot of good advice. In answer to your specific question can you do both countries..yes you can.

Fly between the 2 as Sandi suggest. You would need to allocate more time though than 12 days imo.

But generally speaking the herds that visited Kenya have left at that time but there is no guarantee.

If you have less than 12 days I would stick to Tanzania and spend more days up in the area around the Mara Grumeti River. Before heading to the other parks.

Ideally You should fly to the Mara area spend a few days there ( min. 2) then drive back to Arusha via the Lobo area..Seronera and Ngorongoro.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,646 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Can I do a safari that includes Tanzania and Kenya

>>Ideally You should fly to the Mara area spend a few days there ( min. 2) then drive back to Arusha via the Lobo area..Seronera and Ngorongoro.<<

... not to confuse, but when noexpert says "Mara area" above, the reference is to the Mara River area in the Northern Serengeti/TNZ (known mostly as Kogatende) not that part of the river that flows in the Masai Mara/Kenya.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,959 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Can I do a safari that includes Tanzania and Kenya

Sandi you are correct I am referring to the Kogatende area of the Northern Serengeti near the Mara River in Tanzania.

San Francisco...
7 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Can I do a safari that includes Tanzania and Kenya

WOW I really appreciate all the responses and info. We have decided to stay in Tanzania because of all the educational posts from all of you. Because of what everyone has said I think I have a decent grasp on the migration flow and where we want to be during the time we are there. I am very grateful and am certain that you all have enriched our trip. We are so very excited. Thank you ALL!!!!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,227 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Can I do a safari that includes Tanzania and Kenya

Glad to help. Time to start your planning which a lot of folk say is the best part.

17. Re: Can I do a safari that includes Tanzania and Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 14, 2014