We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-drive Jhb to Serengeti

East London...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Self-drive Jhb to Serengeti

Hi, we are planning a trip in February driving from Jhb to the top of Tanzania. I would love to see the Wildebeest after the calving season. This will be our first major camping/self-drive trip and we really need all the help and advice possible. We are complete rookies.

Any info regarding roads, camp sites, permits, food, clothing, equipment, duration of trip, etc, etc, etc, will be extremely helpful

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Self-drive Jhb to Serengeti

Many thanks to Karl and Mfuwe

There is just no substitute for first hand experience. I hear that the border post at Tunduma a shocker. I believe that there is a border post to the north. I note that on another psot Mfuwe does noy know Tunduma but perhaps others can advise.

Jo

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,971 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Self-drive Jhb to Serengeti

Yes there is another Border post to the west and north of Tunduma. News on it and the road to Sumbawanga is sparse. It would cut off a fair bit of mileage to Katavi but if going to Ruaha this would be wasted.

Tunduma is busy as of course it serves most Traffic from Lusaka to Dar using the TANZAM trunk road

East London...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Self-drive Jhb to Serengeti

Hi, we did the trip!! Absolutely amazingly wonderful. It was just myself and Ian and our Toyota Fortuner. We had the time of our lives and I would like to thank everybody for the wonderful tips.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Self-drive Jhb to Serengeti

Glad the trip turned out well for you Madelene.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,971 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Self-drive Jhb to Serengeti

Good to hear you made it.

Could we perhaps have a small report in order that others can share your knowledge in the future?

East London...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Self-drive Jhb to Serengeti

Please follow this link - I did a report for the Fortuner 4x4 Fans page.

fortuner4x4fans.co.za/forum/…

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Self-drive Jhb to Serengeti

Wow-detailed report. It sounds like a great trip. I can't wait for my own upcoming trip, although not as extensive as yours. Are more pics available?

East London...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Self-drive Jhb to Serengeti

Hi, I LOVE taking photos! About 8000 on this trip. Unfortunately I have no idea how to share it apart from opening my Mac and clicking on iPhoto. Ha-ha-ha. You'll have to visit in East London.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,971 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Self-drive Jhb to Serengeti

Thanks for coming back and sharing the trip with us Madi. I enjoyed it a lot.

to share more photos on the Forum there is the Trip Advsor "Wow" system which works well I am told or most folks use a proprietary "gallery" like "Flicker", Shutterfly or 'photobucket'. Load up your selection and they will produce a 'link' for you to post on here and other fora.

alternatively a lot of people are now doing their own "Books". www.blurb.com is quite good and the results make a great album with narrative just like your blog.

Go for it.

20. Re: Self-drive Jhb to Serengeti

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 11, 2014