We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some ideas for a Phtoto safari in Serengeti - Help

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Some ideas for a Phtoto safari in Serengeti - Help

Dear Safari Lovers ,

I am planning to visit Serengeti by last week of october 2012 from Dubai.

Planning to spend 5 day at Serengeti , as of now I know only that place .

My main intention is to see wild life / Photography -- invested $$$ in equipments , this is my first time in East Africa .

Appreciate if some one can give me some idea on the same ( How things work out ) or there any better place for the same in October 2012.

regards,

meetrijas

Edited: 5:19 am, September 10, 2012
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Some ideas for a Phtoto safari in Serengeti - Help

Some would say that the best time to visit the Serengeti is in February, when the wildebeests are having their calves in the Ndutu area.

The distance from the Masai Mara to the Serengeti is 0 km as they are one and the same and run into each other. However, you cannot cross from one to the other, you must go to a border crossing and pass through immigration. This makes it an all day drive.

Crane Lake...
Level Contributor
536 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Some ideas for a Phtoto safari in Serengeti - Help

To answer your second question, the camera equipment you listed will do fine. You will find the 300/f4 does a good job. You might find yourself switching more than you like back to the other lens to get wider landscape pictures and when animals are nearer to you and the animals will BE REAL NEAR TO YOU.

CS

NEPEAN
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Some ideas for a Phtoto safari in Serengeti - Help

Serengeti will always gicve new wildlife each day

I think if you have 5 days

2 days at Serengeti

1 Day at Ngorongoro

1 day At Lake Manyara

1 day at Tarangire

will give you more oppurtunities to diiferent species of wildlife and Scenery

If you have time a visit to Arusha NP(half a day) and if you like climbing Kilimanjaro NP (!~2 days) will be rewarding

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Some ideas for a Phtoto safari in Serengeti - Help

I agree, except that he is coming there in October, thus scratch Lake Manyara and spend two days in Tarangire. There was an earlier post today that the migration is turning around this year and heading back from only being in the Masai Mara for about three weeks and coming back to the Serengeti now. Thus, in the Serengeti you should be in the Northern and Central areas of the Serengeti, and if you have more days spend them in the Serengeti, not Arusha park. All IMO.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Some ideas for a Phtoto safari in Serengeti - Help

Dear All ,

Appreciate all your inputs .

Specially Karl . I have booked March 1 - March 10 2013 . Serengeti , Ndutu , Ngorongo - 8 days Photo Safari .

I am considering to rent Nikon 200-400 Vr ii despite owning 300mm F4 + 1.4TC on D700 . Any suggestions ?

Regards,

Rijas Ali

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Some ideas for a Phtoto safari in Serengeti - Help

You will be very close to most animals, in fact so close you can smell them. There will be some long shots which you will want, but I would think that a 300mm lens would work OK. I am not a good photographer, but 300mm lenses go out further then what I usually have.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Some ideas for a Phtoto safari in Serengeti - Help

RIJAS.. Look at this post and ask yourself if you need more than a 300mm lens --- tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293747-i9226-k594…

18. Re: Some ideas for a Phtoto safari in Serengeti - Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, December 15, 2013