We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motion Sickness on Safari?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
237 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Motion Sickness on Safari?

I'm planning our first Safari and visit to east Africa (and Africa for that matter). Thanks to all of you, I've been able to gather tons of valuable info on planning the logistics.

Anywho, over the past several years I've become very vulnerable to motion sickness. I understand that safari involves a great deal of driving. For those who experience motion sickness, could you tell me what I'm in for?

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motion Sickness on Safari?

I get occasional motion sickness. On driving safaris (mine have always been driving), the roads can be quite bumpy. But the only time I really had a problem is when the game drive was after having a full breakfast (as opposed to having a lighter tea/cookie/hotchocolate and then having a box breakfast out in the bush or returning to the lodge around 9am for a full breakfast). Luckily, I was carrying some crackers with me as well as over the counter Bonine. Bonine is for motion sickness and does not make you drowsy (and I'd sure not want to be drowsy and miss the animals). There is another over the counter med called Nauzene which are chewable tablets for nausea. They have electrolytes in them. i find if I allow myself to get dehydrated, then the motion thing follows. So I drink liquids. But I also carry something called Sport Beans (made by Jelly Belly- jelly beans) and these chewy gummy things (sorry, don't know the name) that you typically find in a sporting goods place (aimed at runners, cyclists). They have electrolytes and taste good. Then I'm prepared and if I get slightly queezy, I chew one of those tablets or take a Bonine, a little liquid and I'm good to go. I can carry a few of each of these in a small zip lock in my gear bag and am good to go.

East Yorkshire
Level Contributor
145 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motion Sickness on Safari?

I also can get motion sickness in almost any type of vehicle/plane. I have a set of wrist bands with a button stuck in them that I position on a specific place on the wrist - I think it is an acupuncture spot or something. I have always found them helpful and means I don't always need to take medications prior to travelling. In the UK I get them from Boots the Chemist (just taken over by your Walgreen) but google travel sickness wristbands and you should see what I mean.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
237 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motion Sickness on Safari?

Thanks guys. I've taken Bonine and used the Seaband (wrist thingy)...unfortunately to no avail. I will look into Nauzene and Sport Beans. Bringing along crackers and replenishing my electrolytes are great ideas...come to think of it, that's exactly what I do after Bikram (which makes me nauseous)! Thanks again.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,158 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motion Sickness on Safari?

AAA or most drug store or travel store will carry the wrist bands that Lymond speaks of - that's accupressure points it works on, BTW. Possibly standing in the vehicle might actually help as well, but thankfully most of my travel sickness days are over - except Big Sur Highway as a passenger, blah.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Motion Sickness on Safari?

You could try Scopoderm patches, although I would check with your Doctor first to check if they are ok with anti-malarials and the like.

Los Angeles...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Motion Sickness on Safari?

Having always suffered motion sickness, it's a condition I must manage in all my travels.

Friends who aren't prone had forewarned they got carsick on game rides, due to rigorous jostling over the rough terrain. In preparation, brought the usual (prescription) Transderm Scop & Dramamine, but these leave you feeling loaded coupled w/ severe drymouth (though preferable over getting sick.) This time, decided to give homeopathic a try, so also brought ginger chewing gum & ginger teas.

How delighted I was when I didn't get so much as a headache during our game drives! Our Guide's driving style perhaps (not abrupt or jerky,) but depending on your destination/s, expect corrugated roads which just can't be easily traversed. Hubby was surprised - didn't get sick even on night game drive.

However ... got quite nauseated on internal Seronera-JRO flight, but didn't lose my cookies, thankfully.

Given the extended road bouncing & higher elevation which often contributes to my queasiness, suggest taking basic precautions; inform your Guide of motion sensitivity, if permitted sit upfront, bring along above safeguards (small & portable,) & take BEFORE starting activity.

Hope this helps - but you'll still have a blast!!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,815 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Motion Sickness on Safari?

I don't take any precautions but if I feel a bit off, ship/air/car I just stare fixedly at the horizon for a few minutes. Your head then works out which way is 'up' and I am fine.

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
811 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Motion Sickness on Safari?

I am glad someone asked this, as I was also wondering how it would go. I will bring bonine...I am THINKING I will be fine, and just have it a a safety measure.

QM-yes, Big Sur will do that to you, as would driving north to Mendocino! OMG!

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Motion Sickness on Safari?

I think one reason why the electrolytes have worked for me (tried the wrist bands and they didn't work) is because if I'm having motion sickness or a queezy stomach, usually the last thing I'd want to do is drink water. So I get dehydrated. The higher elevations compared to home, seem to amplify things. The sport beans just taste like a regular jelly bean. Also, those packets of electrolyte solutions go a long way. I've just sprinkled a small amount in a bottle of water and it helped a lot.

Staring at the horizon works for me on a boat, when the vehicle is bouncing a lot, doesn't seem to help much.

I must say though, when the game viewing is good, your mind is usually distracted :-)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
237 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Motion Sickness on Safari?

Wow, thank you so much everyone!