We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How close are the animals?

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How close are the animals?

Hello,

I'm thinking about taking a safari trip in February, 2013.

Naturally, I was browsing a lot of videos and pics on Internet.

Is it an effect of optical zoom or reality? How close would I be able to see the animals?

Thank you in advance!!!

K.

New York City
Level Contributor
9 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How close are the animals?

I just got back and the animals are CLOSE! Sometimes you don't need a zoom lense. Great trip!

12. Re: How close are the animals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, June 27, 2012
Crane Lake...
Level Contributor
536 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How close are the animals?

My wife had a baboon climb in the vehicle and sat next to her while she was reading a book on her I Pad. When she realized it was not me she used the I Pad as a shield and shoveled the baboon out. Tha was a the main gates to the Ngorongoro crater. She said that was close enought.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,445 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: How close are the animals?

Oh, your wife is lucky that you didn't earn your name for other reasons. My driver tells of a baboon that got in and when the travellers returned and started screaming, the baboon left, but not until he left all sorts of reminders around. I guess it is pretty smelly, and the poor driver had to take it to an area to have it cleaned and detailed. Thankfully they have something close for just these events. Lesson - do not leave any windows open at the Ngoro gates. I watched their antics from a safe distance and noted all the vehicles that didn't pay attention to their driver about closing up. Vastly entertaining for one not involved.

BTW, the Mrs. was smart to put something between the baboon and herself.

Crane Lake...
Level Contributor
536 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: How close are the animals?

How close do you get to the animals? the video is only 44 seconds and not that good but it was shot with a handheld FLIP video camera which is as cheap as you can get for a video camera. I carry it for fun and just in case like this. It is pure P/S only one button and no settings.

: http://youtu.be/6vdRxRYGMgk

Crapshooter

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: How close are the animals?

Hi,

(I don't have good internet access, so videos are off-limits for now, but thanks for posting crapshooter)....

Anyway, just to say that baboons ARE a problem, and get shot, especially in places like South Africa, when they lose their fear of people. Don't encourage them.

They will enter chalets and rooms if not locked, as I found in South Africa. Warning signs all over the place, but not only did the baboons ignore them, but my neighbours encouraged them by throwing them food from the braai!

So, no wonder they come close....shame.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,445 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: How close are the animals?

It's the teeth and claws that I respect. Goodness knows what kind of infections that nasty mouth can give you. I give them a wide berth, particularly at those gates. As you say Peter, when they lose fear, it's trouble.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: How close are the animals?

Hi, some of my friends have a troop of baboons living around their house, one day Sherrie sat on the “khonde”, varnishing her nails, the troop alpha male came and sat next to her, watching intensely for a while, he then held out his hand, she varnished his nails, He inspected his hand, and left, waving his hand in the air to show his troop!

(Warning, don’t try this at home! (or on holiday!)

Ivan

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: How close are the animals?

When looking at digital camera zoom, always look at the optical zoom figures. If rely on full digital zoom your pics will often be pixelated/blurred.

20. Re: How close are the animals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:07 am, June 28, 2012