We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February a good time to visit?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
574 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
February a good time to visit?

Hello all!

We are discussing nexts years travel options, and it appears Tanzania has moved up on the list, and Brazil down.

At this point in the planning process, I just want to narrow down a time frame for our visit? Was thinking mid February, but I need opionons. Is this a good month for game? How is weather?

Thank you

nyc
Level Contributor
14,473 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: February a good time to visit?

February is an excellent time to visit Tanzania - the wildebeest 'calving' period where thousands of babies are dropped.

Weather is rather warm to hot during daytime, but cools nights/mornings.

This is also one of the busiest periods, so peak season with prices to match. Even 9/months out, lots of space (lodges/camps) are already booked so I wouldn't put off get going on an itinerary and prices, noting that not all 2013 rates have yet been published. Likely to get those for '12 with increase once '13 are available.

Good luck!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
574 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: February a good time to visit?

Thank you! My friend and I are meeting next week to go over some things. I was looking at airfare the otherday, is 1800 about right from US?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,841 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: February a good time to visit?

I share sandi's enthusiasm for February although any time is a good time.

February is when you can be virtually assured of the location of the migrating herds around Ndutu and NCA areas.

But time is of the essence as this is really busy time for obvious reasons.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
715 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: February a good time to visit?

That sounds about right from the west coast...we just paid $1600 from JFK for travel next February (on KLM/Delta).

And Sandi is right--book asap for February, we had our reservations in place months ago! And we were able to get firm 2013 prices from our tour operator this month.

That said there is certainly still time but I wouldn't dally :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
574 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: February a good time to visit?

Cool, thank you all very much. Very helpful info. Im ready to at least secure the safari next week, hope she is too.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: February a good time to visit?

Regarding airfare, if you're comfortable with $1800, that's fine. But you might find it cheaper too. We flew SFO-JRO with an open-jaw back from DAR mid-Feb this year for just over $1400 each - bought the tix about a month out though and you might not want to wait to book. A popular route is to go from AMS to JRO which is what we did.

Regarding weather, when we were there, it was never very hot on the mainland. It was boiling when we got to Zanzibar though.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,841 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: February a good time to visit?

Flights.

KLM re running sale this week. Book by 12th June. Some good prices.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
574 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: February a good time to visit?

Thanks, and that was just what I wanted to hear. My goal was to try & get them for 1400. Will keep that in mind.

Crane Lake...
Level Contributor
536 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: February a good time to visit?

Spent 20 days in Tanzania in Feb. Great weather and the mirgation was a little off of the normal schdule but we ran across it near by. My vote is for Feb.

Crapshooter

Pasco, Washington
Level Contributor
267 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: February a good time to visit?

Going next Feb as well. Leave the 11th. just paid 2,000 for KLM from west coast. booked it now, didn't want to worry about it forever. its done and our trip was booked and deposit before Christmas, to forgo rate increase in 2012.

Note on air: We are going to Mt. Kilamanjaro, small plane to Zanzibar, another flight to Cape Town. So my flight wasn't exactly RT. on the return its from Cape Town through Amsterdam and home. I was lucky that Delta flies from my small town now to Minneapolis where my travel partner lives, so we will meet up there.

Edited: 9:38 pm, May 16, 2012