We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best month for Serengeti

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best month for Serengeti

Can i see wallabies crossing the rivers in Serengeti if it is yes.

What is the best month & place to see it ?

Also what is the nearest airport to Serengeti ?

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,826 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best month for Serengeti

What country do you plan to visit if looking for Wallabies.

However the best time to visit the Serengeti is all year round.

The variety of wildlife and vistas are amazing irrespective of the season of travel.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best month for Serengeti

the main dry season may to october is good time to visit.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best month for Serengeti

Sorry, Wallabies only around in Leap Years!

Unless you are a Rugby fan.

But the Serengeti is good for most other things at any time. From December to May is better.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best month for Serengeti

I am assuming that you mean Wildebeasts and are looking for the river crossing into the Mara. Know that this is very difficult to predict and some of those who go there to take commercial pictures of this do so after staying there for weeks typically. These animals move with the rains which produce new grass as the 2 million animals eat and deplete a lot of grass so are moving to find new grass.

In my opinion the absolute best time to be in the Serengeti is in February when the wildebeest are having their calves. This causes them to always be in one place, Ndutu, thus it is something which is predictable. Ndutu is in the SE part of the Serengeti (officially it is not the Serengeti but the Ngorongoro Conservation Area, but you won't know that other then the park fees).

At all times of the year there will be many animals to view in the Serengeti and your driver/guide will know where they are located and will be able to put you on them.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
591 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best month for Serengeti

wallabies = Australia, not Tanzania.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,826 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best month for Serengeti

I agree with Karl the "absolute" best time for the Serengeti is Feb. around the Ndutu Naabi Hill area.

Edited: 2:20 pm, May 11, 2012
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best month for Serengeti

Thank you carl & noexpert for your help. Now i understood i should heading to Serengeti in Feb.

Kathy i am going to see wildebeasts(strange animals to us in Sri lanka) in Tanzania.

We are Lions. Now i decided to go for Australia to hunt wallabies.

8. Re: Best month for Serengeti

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:42 pm, June 21, 2013