We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick & Easy Question

Texas
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Quick & Easy Question

Which would you recommend:

Nasikia Central Camp or Serengeti Sopa Lodge

Our itinerary looks like this:

Day 1: Arusha to Central Serengeti - overnight in either Nasikia Central Camp or Serengeti Sopa

Day 2: Serengeti (either at Nasikia or Sopa Lodge)

Day 3: Serengeti to Ngorongoro - Sopa Lodge

Day 4: Ngorongoro, overnight at Sopa Lodge

Day 5: Back to Arusha via Lake Manyara

I can't decide between Sopa Lodge in Serengeti (The view look Fantastic!!) or Nasikia Camp.

I was thinking to perhaps split my time -- one night at Nasikia, and one at Serengeti Sopa Lodge, then finish with 2 nights at Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge.

What do you suggest? I imagine by the time we get to the Serengeti it will be 4-5 pm anyway that first day.

Thanks!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,841 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick & Easy Question

there is more than a quick and easy question here.

I think you have the itinerary upside down and need a re-think UNLESS you are flying out of Arusha to Serenera.

If you are not that is one heck of a drive on day one.

The road west of Karatu is poor in the extrme and going will be slow especally if it has rained. You don't say when your trip is taking place.

I would stop day one and overnight somewhere along the way. In any event to take only four days over a trip of this importance is to risk disappointment and frustration.

If you only have that amount of time I should fly west and have your car meet you at Serenera. Or vice versa.

The quick question?

well you seem fixated on Sopa so try a change to Nasikia.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick & Easy Question

I'd take the camp over the lodge any day, but I like the smaller intimacy of the camp and being under canvas in the Serengeti to hear the sounds at night wins hands down for me. You could split between the two though. If the sopa views are great, you might want to read the reviews regarding the monkey problems (well, some might think them a problem).

nyc
Level Contributor
14,473 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick & Easy Question

At least with Nasikia you get a 'camp.'

Mfuwe, believe we went over with OP trying to do too much in too short number of days, including flying west. Apparently budget is an issue.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick & Easy Question

Mfuwe - trip is in the next two weeks. Budget is important, and it seems that Tx must be getting a deal with the Sopa chains.

Texas
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick & Easy Question

Thanks for your advice everyone. I agree it is a lot of driving and a busy schedule, but budget is indeed an issue. Also, my boyfriend is currently in Iraq working and we are meeting in Tanzania. So it's not that I'm fixated on sopa per se. It's just that he "roughs it" every day and for his vacation I didn't want him to have to do that more than necessary. We are usually very adventurous travelers (we met in Afghanistan,) but there are times when you also want life to be easy perhaps.

Thanks for your input once again everyone. It's much appreciated.

Texas
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick & Easy Question

Oh, so we have decided to do one night in the camp and one at the lodge.

Thanks again. Your input is helpful and we value a more authentic experience as much as possible, particularly after your suggestions.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick & Easy Question

Have a wonderful time reconnecting and enjoying this wonderful country. You won't regret going one night under canvas. It isn't roughing it and being out "in the midst" will be such a wonderful memory.

Report back, please. QM.

Texas
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick & Easy Question

Dear QM: Thanks so much, friend! What a lovely message to send us out with. Lots of Hugs... We are so excited!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quick & Easy Question

<<<< but there are times when you also want life to be easy perhaps. >>>>

Let me know where you find this please.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,841 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quick & Easy Question

<<Let me know where you find this please.>>

Second star on the right and straight on til morning is what I was told!