We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tanzania - serengeti safari maybe kenya?

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
tanzania - serengeti safari maybe kenya?

hello friends. planning a trip (10-15 days) in early 2011 (yes we need to be able to plan this thoroughly) - any suggestions? we have to fly all the way from mexico! would it be reasonable to use one of the local safari agencies? could you recommend some? we would like to stay in lodges , no camping. budget could be anything from 3000 - 4000 dollars each for a 8 - 10 - 12 days. is that feasible?

thanks

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tanzania - serengeti safari maybe kenya?

That budget is feasible, if you're not including the airfare in the budget. Staying in good lodges will probably come out to $250 - $350 per day per person, depending on the number of persons in your party and the accommodations you choose.

As for safari operators, there are many suggested on this forum. Do some searching and you will find them easily. You will probably notice that Base Camp Tanzania is highly suggested on this forum, for good reasons.

With the number of days you are planning to do, I would stay in one country and not go to Kenya. Where you go incountry will depend on the time of the year, if this is in February then I would suggest that you include the SE Serengeti where the migration will most likely be at that time of the year. The wildebeests will be calving at that time and this also attracts a lot of predators.

Good luck in your planning.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,890 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: tanzania - serengeti safari maybe kenya?

FAF

as Karl mentioned if the airfare is not included then the budget will be fair for a mixture of lodges. I would spend a few days at Tarangire, then go to Manyara Ngorongoro and then onto the South E. Serenegti. I would stay around Ndutu in the Serenegti and go in Feb. where you have the best chance of seeing the calving of the wildebeests. If you book soon you should get Ndutu Safari lodge but as a warning it has canvas in some of its walls. But is not camping. You say 10-15 days with this time you should be able to combine a side trip either to Lake Babati and go canoeing, visit some stone age sites or if your interest is the beach go to Tanga via either Mkomazi or Lushoto. Tanzania has many places of interest apart from wildlife. If you read some of the other posts on this forum you can get a fair idea of what else to do. There are plenty of Cultural activites as well which could include school visits, or visits to Maasai communities.

If your party is interested in walking, day walking trips can be done around Tarangire and even a days walk or morning walk in the Ngorongoro Highlands is also possible.

I would definately contact local safari operators and email about 5 with your ideas and see what they come back to you with.

It is a good idea to buy a guide book as well. Any is suitable I dont like however the Lonely Planet and would give this one a miss.

Some local operators to contact apart from the one mentioned by karl would be :

Duma Explorer: stacy_readal@dumaexplorer.com

East African Safari and Touring Company : simon@eastafricansafari.info

Dorobo: contact daudi@dorobo.co.tz

Warrior Trails: info-tz@warriortrails.com

and for more budget operators you could try

Sunny Safaris or Shidolya@habari.co.tz

Two of the larger operators also worth an initial enquiry are Leopard Tours or Roy Safaris.

I think this is enough to get you started. I would contact the above and then post a few sample itineries here for comments.

Edited: 7:53 am, January 04, 2010
3. Re: tanzania - serengeti safari maybe kenya?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, February 04, 2010
4. Re: tanzania - serengeti safari maybe kenya?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 10, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Serengeti National Park