From searching the posts I understand that migration is basically unpredictable! And yet we need help deciding where to fly first :-)
Here's the scoop:
- my b/friend and I will be backpacking through Africa for 3+ months, from May 23rd to Aug 31st. We badly want to see the migration, either at Grumeti or Mara. As I see it, we have two options:
1. Fly first into Tanzania May 23rd. Since we have flexible timing, we can hang around until migration starts and keep ourselves occupied with Kili, Zanzibar, lake Manyara, Tangeri, etc. (we plan on only booking a safari for Ngorongoro/Serengeti, and will do the rest on our own through camps we'll stay at - is that a good idea btw?) My fear is that all accommodation will be booked out by the time migration starts (we are considering mbalageti or simiyu camps). Then we fly to South Africa, do Namibia, Zambia, Botswana. Then we make our way back towards Mozambique. (we have to be in South Africa before June 26th due to visa reasons)
2. Option 2. Do South Africa, Namibia, etc. circuit first from May 23rd - till about June 23rd, and then get to Tanzania and try to catch migration at Mara river. And then make our way to Mozambique...
- which option is better in terms of increasing our chances for seeing the migration?
- will accomodations book out if we don't book until last minute to try to time our visit around the migration?
- how about other trade-offs in terms of seasons, weather - starting in SA first vs. Tanzania first?
- lastly, if I just want to book mbalageti, what's the best cheapest way to book their chalet?
would really appreciate your input - i am driving myself insane trying to plan this thing around something that can't be predicted!!