We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self drive Serengeti trip

South Africa
1 post
Save Topic
Self drive Serengeti trip

During July 2009 we intend a Self drive trip from South Arica to the Serengeti. We intend to do camping all the way and make use of the public camp sites in Serengeti to keep the cost low. Any ideas or suggestions from other travellers will be most appreciated. We would like to know how the road is

from Tunduma Border Post to SNP. Is July a good

month to view the migration in the Northen section

or should we rather visit mid June to Mid July.

Any info will help. Regards Antoinette

Marloth Park South...
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Self drive Serengeti trip

Hi there Sorsie,

We see that you are planning to do the same type of trip that we are - at about the same time too!

Have you had any good info and what is your latest plan/schedule? Maybe we will see you on the road?

Contact us on safari@vodamail.co.za if interested.

Regards.

Alison & Nick

nyc
Level Contributor
14,418 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Self drive Serengeti trip

Mid-June to mid-July it's usually best finding the migration in the Western Serengeti. Later in July and August, expect to the herds to be moving intu/thru the Northern Serengeti before most cross into Kenya's Masai Mara.

Of course, never any guarantees. And, as luagwablonds mentioned in the other thread, when driving thru these areas of the Serengeti, where there are set roads/tracks (dirt/gravel), you have to stick to them... no off-roading. Safe travels.

ny
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Self drive Serengeti trip

What type of vehicle are you planning to use? Do any of the parks in the area have paved roads like Etosha?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self drive Serengeti trip

Antoinette.. In the interior of Tanzania the condition of the roads runs from terrible to worse. Most all, with a few exceptions such as on roads where a lot of MPs go to the capital, are dirt/gravel with no drainage. They are not marked so when you come to a fork in the road you will need to know which one to take, which most locals know by landmarks. I travel overland there a lot, but never without a driver who knows the route, or can find it because they speak fluent Kiswahili and other local languages.

Marloth Park South...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Self drive Serengeti trip

Hi Karl,

Are the roads via Dodoma still as bad as they were or do you think we could now go that way instead of the long way around via Morogoro?

Also, any tips on camping/backpackers in Lusaka as we have heard Eureka is not good?

Regards.

Alison & Nick

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self drive Serengeti trip

Allison... The road North form Mbeya to Iringa to Dodoma is not all that good, dirt, very dusty and bumpy in most places. In several places you will probably need to go offroad because it will be smoother. I have never went from Iringa to Mbeya so I don't know the condition of that road. From Dodoma to Kondoa, to Babati, to Arusha the road is the same as South of Dodoma, very bumpy. In the area around Babati it will be very bumpy. Just North of Babati and close to Tarangire NP the road will turn to tarmac and for the last about 150km it will be tarmac into Arusha. I take this road when I don't have others with me as they are not used to the bad road conditions and I am. When I have others with me I take the tarmac road from Dodoma to Morogoro to Chilinze, then turn North to Segawe, Same, Moshi, Arusha.

I can go on the dirt roads from Iringa to Dodoma and it takes me about 3 - 4 hours, from Dodoma to Arusha it takes me about 5 - 6 hours. If I take the tarmac road to Morogoro from Dodoma then from Chilinze to Arusha it takes me at least 12 - 13 hours. Of course if you were coming from Mbeya to Arusha and wanted to take the tarmac roads then you would go from Iringa to Morogoro then to Chilinze then to Arusha and not need to go through Dodoma.

I would not take any of these roads at night. They are dangerous. The direct road from Dodoma to Arusha has bandits on it at night and when I must take it at night I always stop at the guard shack and pick up an armed guard to accompany me. On the tarmac roads they have many drunken truck drivers on them at night and they are dangerous.

7. Re: Self drive Serengeti trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:44 am, December 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Serengeti National Park