We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to a girl traveling on own in Tanzania?

bristol
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to a girl traveling on own in Tanzania?

Hi I am trying to book flights to Tanzania and wondered if I can book a safari out there cheaply and travel around for 3 weeks? could anyone recommend anything?

thanks nicky

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,585 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to a girl traveling on own in Tanzania?

Now come on nicky. Are you asking is it safe for a single girl or are you asking about booking a safari?

Q1. It is perfectly safe. Tanzanians are on the whole very respectable people with higher than normal 'moral' standards. On the other hand any country will harbour a few bad types. Dress modestly, which you should do anyway, covering shoulders and lower limbs in towns. Shorts and T shirts are ok in the Lodge and up country. NEVER go into a bar on your own!

Q2. There are plenty of Safari Operators in Arusha and elsewhere that can put a safari together for you quite quickly when you get there. Be prepared to spend/waste two days whilst this is done.

On the other hand are you completely happy trusting someone you have not checked out properly? Why not make initial contact from home by EMail which at least will give you the opportunity and checking bona fides.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to a girl traveling on own in Tanzania?

I am working as a volunteer in Tz and the organization has recommended to all of the volunteers to book safaris when we arrive because it can easily be done and it saves a lot of money.

But yes I am going to save 1-2 days to compare safari packages. I am using Lonely Planet's guide and recommendations from this forum.

I have contacted a few operators via e-mail but the prices were WAY to high.

Good luck!! :)

nyc
Level Contributor
14,418 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to a girl traveling on own in Tanzania?

ickypuff -

If traveling end-December, and can't hook-up with a group tour on your particular dates, remember it's Christmas/New Years. Many properties add on holiday surcharges. Also, if alone, you pay a single supplement.

bristol
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to a girl traveling on own in Tanzania?

hey all, thanks very much, feel more confident now - so i'll book a flight! Yeha!

nicky

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,585 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to a girl traveling on own in Tanzania?

Go for it.

Bristol 06.15-AMS-JRO 20.35 same day. Back in Bristol 10.15 on return. KLM

BUT you may do better/cheaper by train/bus to London and taking a direct flight to Nairobi and then bussing over the border to Arusha. More competition on that route. Quite safe and fun too.

6. Re: Is it safe to a girl traveling on own in Tanzania?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, September 27, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Serengeti National Park