We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Migration location in August

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Migration location in August

I have been trying to set up a safari for June or July to Arusha, Tarangire, Lake Eyasi, Ngorongoro and the Serengeti. I am having some availability problems and it seems the safari I want is available to have us there in August. The camp for Serengeti is mobile so they say it will be optimally located for whatever month it is.

Any opinions on whether August might meet my hopes to see part of the Great Migration in the Serengeti? We can always put the trip off till 2009 and then I can book it early and get whenever I want.

Would August also be a good month for Tarangire or would July have been better?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Migration location in August

Joan, You can typically get a day room at any of the hotels in Arusha for one-half the cost for the night. But if all you want to do is to have someplace to rest up a bit, take a shower before leaving, etc. then you don't need a big tourist hotel. I would suggest that you stay at one of the hotels in Arusha like the Arusha Central Tourist Hotel (cost for a night is $25) and this place is quite nice and a place where the locals stay, or at the Meru Hotel on Sokoine Street and the cost here will be about $15 for a night. You can get a taxi to take you to the airport (I assume you are flying out of JRO) and the cost will be $50, or whatever you can negotiate down from there (I've done it for a lot less when they are not busy). There are plenty of taxis in and around Arusha.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Migration location in August

By the way Joan, during the dry season Tarangire is a great place to be. The large elephant herds return to Tarangire which has a river which flows all the time and the large herds seem to congregate around this river in the dry season.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,532 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Migration location in August

Ask your agent for lower priced options for day-rooms. There are quite a few in town or on the road between Arusha and JRO airport.

If the $140/person covers room (?), dinner ($25-$30/person) and transfer (50-$60 total), you can probably reduce this with another choice.

Houston
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Migration location in August

Some other good day room spots are Arusha Hotel [near the clock tower in Arusha - center point between Cape Town and Cairo] - near local of shopping stores or Impala Hotel - bit away from town but would be a bit cheaper than Arusha Hotel.

I would get your TA to take care of this. Keep it simple.

Mefi

15. Re: Migration location in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, September 20, 2009