We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zanzibar / Serengeti

12 posts
Zanzibar / Serengeti

Hello...I am planning a last minute trip to Tanzania in the middle of October with my wife....we wanted to visit Zanzibar and the Serengeti (love to hear other suggestions)and all we have are 8 days....right now Dar Es Salam seems like the most cost effective flight to Tanzania from Boston ...I was wondering what people would suggest from there..? Fly straight to the national park for a few days and then fly back to Zanzibar n then ferry ($) over to Dar Es Salam for the trip home..... are the internal flights relatively cheap and frequent? Thank you in advance to all the people who leave comments on this site. I hope you realize how much helpful they are,

Brian

9 replies to this topic
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
8,079 posts
1. Re: Zanzibar / Serengeti

With 8 days only why not consider the Selous.

Dover, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Zanzibar / Serengeti

Hi Brian, my husband and I just booked our flights for our honeymoon in January to Tanzania. We have all of the same questions as you do so I’m looking forward to seeing some other suggestions left as comments. The only part of our trip that we have set in stone is the flight in and flight out. We went with flying in and out from the States to DAR, the round trip seemed more cost effective than multi-city and flights within the country seem pretty cheap as well so that we could get from north back to Zanzibar quickly. Good luck planning your trip!

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
8,079 posts
3. Re: Zanzibar / Serengeti

Hi October is different to January.

In January I would not miss the Serengeti espacially the short grass plains of Ndutu where the wildebeest will be calving in their millions about 1.5 million with predators hanging on, Zebra gazelles Impala and Eland all contributing to the numbers and variety of wildlife. Hyena and Jackal all over the place. There is nothing like driving thought a million odd wildebeest from dawn to dusk in the wide open spaces of the Serengeti.

October is slightly different as the migration will be up North in the Kogatende area of the Serengeti.Still a beautiful sight but for overall wildlife viewing you would need to add other parks such as tarangire in Oct. and Seronera to get the best out of the Northern Circuit. In 8 days it is not possible to do it properly or to do it justice, hence my suggestion of the Selous especially if you only have 8 days and are including Zanzibar.

For Jan. I would make the extra effort and go to the Serengeti and then visit Ngorongoro as well.

Tarangire is not as good in Jan. as it is in Oct. but still worth a visit, and no need to go up North, unless you have 3 weeks and doing a great driving trip such this poster: https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g29…

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
4,226 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Zanzibar / Serengeti

Arrival Dar then connect domestic flight to Northern Serengeti for 3 days,2nights central Serengeti,1 night ngorongoro crater rim next day crater tour drive to Tarangire 2 nights

Drive to Kilimanjaro airport or Arusha airport fly to Zanzibar north site at jambiani or Nungwi

12 posts
5. Re: Zanzibar / Serengeti

I know.... it’s a little overwhelming trying to figure out everything especially when it’s so far away..... I need to win the lottery.. haha... best of luck on your honeymoon

12 posts
6. Re: Zanzibar / Serengeti

Hello noexpert,

Thank you so much for all that info..., it’s a lot of food for thought and maybe has changed our ideas somewhat....

North Carolina
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Zanzibar / Serengeti

Eight days is not much time to visit Zanzibar and the Serengeti as Noexpert has already mentioned. How many nights were you planning to stay in Zanzibar? And if you are flying in and out of Dar, Selous would geographically make more sense. If you haven’t already done this, you might want to picture what your ideal safari moment would be- seeing lions on the hunt, being surrounded by herds of wildebeest and zebra, the classic cheetah on a termite mound, watching an elephant graze as you enjoy a cocktail, falling asleep to the sound of lions, etc. What experience epitomizes your safari dream? Is the Serengeti part of that dream? Or do you just want to experience a safari in general? Then list a few other “important” experiences, understanding that animals, while they may have patterns, do what they want. Then you can determine which park would be the most likely to offer that experience, and see if you can fit it in the time frame and budget you have available.

I’m not sure if your 8 days includes the day you arrive and the day you leave, which will really limit your on the ground time, especially going from airport to park and then park to airport to Zanzibar (or vice versa.) I’ve only been to Tanzania one time, but there are a lot of folks on this forum that can give you more specifics about internal flights/transportation and time frames. I’m also not sure how easy it will be to make arrangements on such a short notice.

At the top of this forum is a posting for trip reports. If you haven’t reviewed those already, you can get a lot of good information there. I know there are some threads about Selous as well as the northern circuit.

Then you can talk to several tour operators and see what they can work out for you. They will usually make the local flight/transportation arrangements for you, which would probably be easier on such short notice???

Good luck!

12 posts
8. Re: Zanzibar / Serengeti

Heya, thanks for your response... I know 8 days isn’t very long but we were hoping to get to Zanzibar for at least three days of the vacation... I guess I’m underestimating the time needed to visit the serengetti

North Carolina
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Zanzibar / Serengeti

If getting to the Serengeti is important to you, and this is your one chance to do it, I’d check with some TOs and see if they can make it happen. You would probably have to fly in to the Serengeti, stay 3 or 4 nights, then fly to Zanzibar. Once again, your expectations will determine whether or not you should try to do it in the time frame you have available. You can see a lot in 3 or 4 days in the Serengeti, but it is a lot driving and travel.

Reply to: Zanzibar / Serengeti
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted