We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kilimanjaro Crew, John Samson Shem--SCAM--DON'T BOOK W/ THEM

Nairobi, Kenya
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Kilimanjaro Crew, John Samson Shem--SCAM--DON'T BOOK W/ THEM

Kilimanjaro Crew is a scam run by John Samson Shem. While the website looks nice, do not be deceived!

During the week of Nov 17th, I booked a 6-day hike for myself and two friends with Kilimanjaro Crew, communicating with John Samson Shem. Communication was good, he shared info about the trip professionally, and he ultimately gave us a discount, leading us to choose his agency over another. He asked that I send a deposit of $1,000 USD via Western Union (specifically asking for the "Money In Minutes" option).

Once the deposit was sent, communication suddenly changed. John claimed he did not receive the money, became very angry over the phone, and ultimately cut off communication.

Ultimately, we booked at the last-minute with another agency which was very reputable, so that we could still complete the hike.

I've filed fraud claims with my bank in the US, as well as Western Union. Also, while in Tanzania for our re-booked hike, we followed up with the police in Moshi, as well as a local climbing association. John Samson Shem is known to have scammed others before. He is a website designer and criminal, not a trekking professional. The police are now continuing to work on our case at this time.

DON'T be deceived. DON'T book with Kilimanjaro Crew nor John Samson Shem, nor any of the other contacts listed on the site.

Mentioned in this post
Moshi
Moshi
Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,096 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kilimanjaro Crew, John Samson Shem--SCAM--DON'T BOOK W/ THEM

Well at least you involved the Police. Keep us advised as to the outcome.

California
Level Contributor
485 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kilimanjaro Crew, John Samson Shem--SCAM--DON'T BOOK W/ THEM

Thanks for passing on the word. Hopefully others search forums like this prior to booking and find your feedback.

Schoorl, The...
Level Contributor
1 post
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kilimanjaro Crew, John Samson Shem--SCAM--DON'T BOOK W/ THEM

We booked one day of safari, 5 days of Kilimanjaro Climbing and 4 days luxury hotel in Arusha via www.climbingkilimanjaro.com. The website looks professional and there were many positive reviews on the internet.

We had to pay all the money in advance and took that risk... But were not disappointed! Climbingkilimanjaro.com arranged everything perfectly; from the pick up at the airport to the safari in Lake Manyara to the 5 days climb to the summit! Experienced guides (Albert and Tami), friendly staff (nothing is impossible for them), good briefings, nice food and daily medical checks during the climb!

Without Diamox but thanks to mental support and advises of the guides we reached the top last Friday morning. We can highly recommend this company to anyone who plans to climb the Kilimanjaro!

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kilimanjaro Crew, John Samson Shem--SCAM--DON'T BOOK W/ THEM

Aside from hijacking another person's thread, post 3 reads just like an advert.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kilimanjaro Crew, John Samson Shem--SCAM--DON'T BOOK W/ THEM

I was also scammed out of £800. Which he collected via Western Union but then said he had never heard from me before.

DO NOT book!

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kilimanjaro Crew, John Samson Shem--SCAM--DON'T BOOK W/ THEM

I just saw an interesting article about a locksmith sueing Google for allowing non-licensed business to show up in their search results. Could be an interesting take for anyone that has been scammed by a non-licensed business that they found on Google.

Also, do not send money by Western Union. This is impossible to ever do anything. Best way is to pay with a credit card. Then if a scam you can reclaim the money from your credit card company. Second best option is to pay with a bank transfer to a company account. Individual accounts are easier to open with fake documents, but company accounts require a lot of paperwork and are traceable.

It is terrible to hear that both of you were scammed. But it is great that you are naming and shaming. Spread the word so no one else falls into the trap.

Edited: 4:41 am, December 10, 2014
Usa River
Level Contributor
216 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kilimanjaro Crew, John Samson Shem--SCAM--DON'T BOOK W/ THEM

On his website are recommendations, where it comes from? But always be carefull, when prices are very low. But don't trust, that police is acting, I would be very surprised. Ther are other companies, which for years do this, all still working.

Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kilimanjaro Crew, John Samson Shem--SCAM--DON'T BOOK W/ THEM

Post three is referring to a different company kilimanjaro climbing not kilimanjaro crew so may well be true.

I have also have sent a deposit to John Samson Shem of KilimanjaroCrew unfortunately before any of the poor reviews started. Up until now things have been slow but professional. I have e-mailed him asking for an explanation of the reviews -- we will see what reply if any I get !!

This is a charity climb in aid of disabled children so we can not afford to be scammed.

I suspect things are not right so have started looking at another operator.

If it is true that this is a scam many more will be caught, kilimanjarocrew are currently the latest review on Mount Kilimanjaro reviews with a glowing report !!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kilimanjaro Crew, John Samson Shem--SCAM--DON'T BOOK W/ THEM

I was also thinking about booking with the Kilimanjaro Crew(John Samson), but after realize that they are operating illegally(they are not hold the license for operating the business which is known as TALA license, I decided to check out with other operators. The following is a link of a licensed operators, so if the company your consider to book with, they are not there, then you should note that they are fake company.

tanzaniatouristboard.com/tour_search/index_t…

10. Re: Kilimanjaro Crew, John Samson Shem--SCAM--DON'T BOOK W/ THEM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:02 am, December 28, 2014