We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elite Kilimanjaro

Dubai
Level Contributor
9 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Elite Kilimanjaro

Hi,

I am hoping to travel to Tanzania next year to climb Kilimanjaro and do a safari if i have enough time. I have been doing some googling and I found a company called Elite Kilimanjaro. I can't find any info on them on trip advisor, just wondering if any one has experience with them? They seem to offer exactly what I am looking for but without and reviews its hard to know. Any feedback would be most welcome!

thanks in advance...

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,700 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Elite Kilimanjaro

Whether it is a Kili climb or a safari you should make sure the company has a profile and can supply copies of the various licenses required to operate in Tz. Otherwise you are running a risk.

Sydney
Level Contributor
195 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Elite Kilimanjaro

Noexpert and I advise time and time again but sadly no one pays any attention.

Ask the company to email their TALA licence.

Make sure their TALA licence is actually in the name of the company.

If no TALA move on.

If the TALA licence is in another name, move on.

You have now mentioned one fake company and the other you mentioned has very bad reports here on Tripadvisor and in Tanzania. There are a raft of companies springing up with very aggressive social media campaigns that are all smoke and mirrors. In Africa all is not as it may appear to the unwary. Ask here and those who know Africa will guide you. Pay no attention to one post wonders who promote a specific company, use lots of bold and generally have a poor grasp of the English language. The ghost posters for some foreign companies are also easy to spot for those who have been on this site for a while.

13. Re: Elite Kilimanjaro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:09 am, December 28, 2014
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Elite Kilimanjaro

My name is Kristie and I own Elite Kilimanjaro. I have no idea who the people are above and why they would want to publish libelous information about my business and malign my character. First of all it just hurts the tourism market for all travel agencies by creating unfounded doubt and skepticism and secondly it is against the law. For now I will assume it is just a misunderstanding which I will attempt to clear up with my post.

I formed the company in early 2012 when 3 of my friends, who just came back from a successful trek up Kilimanjaro, and I decided that the market for proper Kilimanjaro advice was pretty thin. There are hundreds of sites out there and trying to get the “straight scoop” is sometimes difficult. Some lock you in with non-refundable deposits and some give you just enough information to get you off their backs until you are half way to the summit and realize you had forgotten to ask a key question or they have forgotten key items that would have made your trip much better. Worse yet, there are many companies who employ associates who have never actually climbed up the mountain at all and read their answers from a manual. There are some expensive outfitters who charge a lot of money for their knowledge and just a few who, like us, who are focused on providing that same knowledge at a fair price. In all cases, these companies started at some point in the past and their website was launched. For us that was 2012 with our website following in 2013. The reality is none of the information on any website is unique because people have been climbing Kilimanjaro since 1889 and the mountain and the routes really don’t change that quickly. Nor does the equipment (other than the latest brand name models and stores) or the training required to get you safely to the top. Our business is about knowledge and a desire to create a safe environment for trekkers who want to learn and feel comfortable about climbing with a Tanzanian Tour Operator. Many of which will rip you off blind and not think twice about it. Our business is not a store front, there is no place to come buy anything. We offer reputable advice from trekkers who have successfully made it up the mountain and feel good about openly sharing that information. So yes, we have a PO Box to collect our mail and other legal documents just like thousands of other businesses around the world. As far as our relationship with Zara Tours is concerned, the relationship started with their owner, Zainab Ansari, when we were her guest in 2012. She cared about us and she personally made certain we were always taken care of and having a good time. I admired that in a fellow woman business owner which is why I felt they would be a great company to work with. When our group came back safe, she was there to meet us and our guides and it was an emotional reunion. I cannot imagine how many times a month she does that, but it was special and so is she. I would be happy to personally connect anyone to Zainab if you have concerns, just let me know. They are a reputable company that also provides direct selling of treks to the public as does hundreds of other Tanzanian companies. So you might ask why use Elite Kilimanjaro or any other outfitter? The reason is simple. We provide honest information from people who have been up the mountain and that experience is worth something and it helps people feel more prepared than if you just used a foreign company to setup your trip. If you don’t need that comfort and you feel fine sending your money via Western Union or similar, then go direct. Otherwise find a friend and talk to them about their experience. My team and I are always available to talk to anyone, just let us know.

The reality is my business and my reputation are an open book, so private message or email me personally. I will be happy to discuss anything with anyone, anytime. It appears that EarthTrekka and JustaKiliGirl have a real issue/concern, so please contact me via personal message or email at trekker@elitekilimanjaro and ask your questions direct versus posting inaccurate information that others may misinterpret as accurate or legitimate.

15. Re: Elite Kilimanjaro

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Elite Kilimanjaro

I am from Holland and also was looking to go to climb Kilimanjaro and was so happy with the very kind and helpful email traffic between Marcus (he called himself) and myself.

I almost booked with them but now I thank you for above review and I am glad I did not lose my mone.

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Elite Kilimanjaro

Hi EarthTrekka,

I looked at the www.ultimatekilimanjaro.com and indeed it looked almost exactly like Elite K.

Are you sure this is a different company? Even the prices are the same?

It is so hard to believe that Elite is fake :-(

18. Re: Elite Kilimanjaro

Removed on: 2:32 pm, June 07, 2015
Sydney
Level Contributor
195 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Elite Kilimanjaro

Points to note when choosing a licenced Mt Kilimanjaro trekking company

There is a drive to cull operators who use another companies TALA A licence under what was previously called a voucher system. Unlicenced tour operators would use the TALA A licence of another company (or a private business man) to circumvent the official requirement for the company offering the tour to in fact hold a TALA A licence. This is why it is important to ascertain that if they do have a TALA A it is in the name of the company offering the Mt Kilimanjaro treks.

Do they have a TALA A licence? Ask for a copy.

No TALA A no climb.

Is the name on the TALA licence the same as the company offering the climb?

If not, don't use them.

Please do post your findings here.

20. Re: Elite Kilimanjaro