We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping for Porters/guides/cook with only 2 travelers

Westerville, OH
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tipping for Porters/guides/cook with only 2 travelers

I've read about tipping (thanks to all those who have posted!), and I think I understand that each position gets an alotted amount per day and each climber pays a portion of that amount. We will have 2 climbers in our group accompanied by 7 porters, 2 guides and a cook. We will be gone 7 days.

7 porters x $8 = $56 x 7 days = $392

2 guides x $15 = $30 x 7 days = $210

1 cook x $10 = $10 x 7days = $70

$672 total tips between 2 people =$336 per person

Is this how it works??

Thank you!

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping for Porters/guides/cook with only 2 travelers

Amy,

Tipping is personal nature,although many companies recommend as you wrote above,but still have chance to tipping as you like and you have..I mean more or less..!

Enjoy your climbing.

NYC
Level Contributor
639 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping for Porters/guides/cook with only 2 travelers

Amy,

we're in the same boat .... 2 people for 7 days ..... and its hard to get a straight answer from anyone! I'm thinking of going with numbers similar to what you have posted ....... which definitely starts to add up ..... over 20% as a tip.

If anyone has recently climbed (especially in a small group) wouldn't mind sharing what they tipped, and if it was received well by those involved ....... would be much appreciated. Its causing more stress than I need for this trip.

San Jose, California
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping for Porters/guides/cook with only 2 travelers

Tipping is relative, and is solely based on your personal experience on the trek. I recommend to my clients, an average of 12% of their trekking package price as total tips. Our 7 day Kili package is ~ $2K/person. Here's our suggested breakdown:

Guide - $15/day ($105)

Assistant guide - $10/day ($70)

Porter - $5/day ($245 for 7 porters)

Cook - $8/day ($56)

Thus, total = $476 or $238 per person for two people group (12% of our package price)

4. Re: Tipping for Porters/guides/cook with only 2 travelers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 23, 2014