We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peter Tours and Mountaineering

Edmonton, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Peter Tours and Mountaineering

Hello,

I just finished a trek of Kilimanjaro with Peter Tours and Mountaineering and wanted to post a positive review of the company. I was a little nervous signing up with Peter as it seemed to be one of the more budget oriented tour operators for Kilimanjaro, but wanting to trek with a local company (located in Moshi) and with being on a tight budget of a year long world tour I decided to take the plunge and sign up with Peter. I couldn't find much in the way of reviews of his company, so decided I would write this for others considering his company, or searching for a Kilimanjaro trekking agency.

I joined on as a single for the 6-day Umbwe Route, and ended up being in a group of 2, with a guide, and assistant guide, a cook and seven porters to take care of us. The other trekker being a woman, we each were given our own tent, as well as having a dinning tent complete with table and chairs. A friend of mine started a few days later and ended up being on his own as a solo trekker with a crew of 5 on the 7-day Lachame Route, with only a couple of days notice to Peter.

I was quite impressed with the helpfullness of both Peter and his employees (guides, porters, cooks, etc.). The food on the trek was quite good quality, and we were served more than enough. The tents were fine, although the rental gear was adequate but did leave something to be desired. I hadn't decided to climb Kili before I had headed to Africa, so had to rent a warm sleeping bag, which was only OK, and some warm clothing, which was adequate but dated. I would recommend bringing along your own gear if you have it.

Check him out if you're looking around - http://www.ptmtours.com/

Kevin

Mentioned in this post
Kilimanjaro National Park
Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
Moshi
Moshi
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Peter Tours and Mountaineering

To follow up with Kevin's post- I too was nervous initially when I opted for a less expensice agency (Peter Tours) but all in all I was very impressed by the quality of the experience, the porters and the fact that Peter was able to design a Machame climb and safari around my limited time and budget on short notice. I got put into a group last minute as a solo climber and I could not have picked a better pair of guys to climb with. I realized once I got on the mountain that once you get into the park everyone is climbing the same mountain with relatively the same quality of equipment, guides and foods (for the most part-- there are outliers in both directions). Your company makes the experience- co-climbers and porters. I would recommend Prosper and Ayumi for guides if you book with Peter. They were a blast.

I would recommend Peter Tours to anyone interested in a great climb for a great price. And yes, bring your own gear, especially broken in climbing boots, and variety of clothing (shorts and t shirt for day one-- it is humid--and warm clothing for summit day--it is literally freezing). The tents and sleeping bags he suppplied were on par with the other companies or better.

Montpelier, Vermont
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Peter Tours and Mountaineering

Our family of four chose PeterTours because we wanted to go with a local, Tanzanian company and needed a reasonable budget. Peter promised us a high quality trip within a budget we could handle and he came through in spades.

The land cruiser was rock solid and our driver-guide, Godwin, was able to handle all road conditions with great confidence. He had an astounding capacity to locate and bring us close to animals and became well-tuned to how long we wanted to linger with each siting of leopard, lion, cheetah, elephant, etc.

Our cook, Joyce, ably provided nourishing and diverse meals, from fresh fruits as part of breakfast to home made soups, tasty entrees, and other fine foods throughout the day. One night she responded to my special request for traditional African foods and taught me how to cook in her style.

The trip was adapted to fit our aspirations yet Peter, his brother Boni, and our driver, Godwin, brought their vast and discerning experience to our travels to guide us to create an even smoother, doable trip. After all, they know the terrain and we did not.

My only suggestion is that if you are traveling with children, bring their ids with evidence of their ages. This will ease the way for park entry at the right fee-for-age. Peter had done all the paper work for us ahead of time and logged our kids ages on the papers we had in the land cruiser but one of the park wardens did not believe what Peter had written. Having photo ids with the kids ages would have been helpful.

In summary, after cruising the internet for an Arusha-based safari company I kept returning to Peter's site and I'm glad we chose PeterTours. The idea of a local man figuring out how to build his own business from the ground up was important to us. Upon meeting Peter in Arusha we knew we'd found who we wanted to work with and I would highly recommend Peter and his company.

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Montpelier, Vermont
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Peter Tours and Mountaineering

Our family of four chose PeterTours because we wanted to go with a local, Tanzanian company and needed a reasonable budget. Peter promised us a high quality trip within a budget we could handle and he came through in spades.

The land cruiser was rock solid and our driver-guide, Godwin, was able to handle all road conditions with great confidence. He had an astounding capacity to locate and bring us close to animals and became well-tuned to how long we wanted to linger with each siting of leopard, lion, cheetah, elephant, etc.

Our cook, Joyce, ably provided nourishing and diverse meals, from fresh fruits as part of breakfast to home made soups, tasty entrees, and other fine foods throughout the day. One night she responded to my special request for traditional African foods and taught me how to cook in her style.

The trip was adapted to fit our aspirations yet Peter, his brother Boni, and our driver, Godwin, brought their vast and discerning experience to our travels to guide us to create an even smoother, doable trip. After all, they know the terrain and we did not.

My only suggestion is that if you are traveling with children, bring their ids with evidence of their ages. This will ease the way for park entry at the right fee-for-age. Peter had done all the paper work for us ahead of time and logged our kids ages on the papers we had in the land cruiser but one of the park wardens did not believe what Peter had written. Having photo ids with the kids ages would have been helpful.

In summary, after cruising the internet for an Arusha-based safari company I kept returning to Peter's site and I'm glad we chose PeterTours. The idea of a local man figuring out how to build his own business from the ground up was important to us. Upon meeting Peter in Arusha we knew we'd found who we wanted to work with and I would highly recommend Peter and his company.

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peter Tours and Mountaineering

We are the group of friends, that are managing travel over the world and this year decided to go to Tanzania. For the safaries we have chosen Petre Tours and Mountaineering mainely for the reason, that my son, Simonas last year have climed Kilimanjaro with them and recomended me this company. We changed our plans several time and Peter was so kind to recalculate budget for all optpions. Finnaly we agreed on 7 days 6 night safary and treking to Ol Donyo Lengai with the three nights in the hotel in Moshi.

I should say that all organization was very smouthly. Peter himself was controlled our movements. The guids where awesom. We saw many animals and also climed to the Ol Donyo Lengay without mayor difficulties. The cooks Ali and Jim where excellent.

We enjoid the trip and are very thankful for the Peter tours. We are recomending this company to other tourist as the company could be trust.

Goog luck Peter and your cpollegues!

Birute

Lithuania

Mentioned in this post
Moshi
Moshi
Gdynia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peter Tours and Mountaineering

Dear Sandy,

Thakns for wonderful recommendation of Peter Torus.

Now I am planning to go with this travel office.

Can you be so nice and let me know how was accomodation during Safari?

Thanks a lot

regards

Mimi

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peter Tours and Mountaineering

I always think of these threads as not just a one-time affair, but archives others will find by searching. I'm concerned about the integrity of this user-driven online travel community - and its vulnerability to manipulation. So... some thoughts on interpreting reports...

One should read comments about particular companies with several grains of salt.

One criterion I use in weighting a poster's opinion is how much of a commitment they have made to the travel community by way of Tripadvisor. Posters who appear from nowhere to recommend a company carry less weight with me than those who have asked - and answered - questions on the forums and/or written reviews to help other travelers.

Another criterion is the intent of the post. If it is to give information, that is one thing. If it is to give an honest opinion, that is another. If it is to simply encourage people to use a particular company, that may be an honest opinion - it may also be a tout for the company by someone connected to the company.

First-time posters present the reader with a question. If the reader did not use TA before for planning and discussion, what brings them to TA to write a glowing recommendation for a company? Perhaps it is just the joy of the experience that drives them. Perhaps it is encouragement from the company in question. I think the ethics of the second possibility are a gray area on TA today. Companies are not supposed to encourage the use of the forums to get good "reviews" - but TA has no place for actual reviews of safaris, so...

Still - if someone reads a glowing report and sees that the person has not made other contributions to TA in the intervening time - or if all those contributions are supporting the same company - a thoughtful reader might take pause at the value of the recommendation.

One additional criterion I use is to check the dates of posts. Sometimes old posts are brought back... often more than once... so that a series of single-posters seem inspired to just keep bringing the name of the company back to the top page of the forum. One can't help but wonder if this is more than coincidence.

Of course, it might also be a periodic posting by an employee or friend of the company pretending to be a traveler.

So... since psychology has shown us we are unduly influenced by unsupported, and often false, statements we see in print - perhaps more than a few grains of salt are required when using these forums.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peter Tours and Mountaineering

Hi there!

My husband and I climbed Kili over Christmas-New Year 2013 with Peter Tours and Mountaineering through the Machame route. They were fantastic and worth every last penny. Can't recommend them enough. And they were not even half as expensive as some of the bigger names that were working out there.

We were first time climbers (in fact, we did not even train - it was a sort of last minute trip plan) and we were lucky to land up with an amazing guide, James. It rained every day of our climb and without this guy, we would not have been able to summit. He paced us well. We were walking slower than the other climbers, but to be sure, we did not burn out or fall sick even on the last day and made it to the top. And he is THE most encouraging guy I've met. He works at your speed and works great with the rest of the team too - the porters, the cook, etc, who by the way, were all awesome. The cook especially - Miko - made us some of the best food we had in all of Tanzania. Over 7 days, we had three course meals, three times a day - and he did not repeat anything twice!! I wish I had gotten the recipes from him for some of those soups!

Coming back to the trek, James helped us by carrying some of our day-pack stuff (like water bottles and warm clothes) through about 50% the climb - it really helped and you realize how important a supportive guide is when you see fellow climbers getting super tired the last couple of days, carrying three times as much as you are.

We used Peter Tours and Mountaineering for the safari as well, but were not completely satisfied with the quality of the guide or vehicle. We felt that the guide needed to be more enthusiastic about spotting wildlife - he was more a driver and less a guide..

Good luck with your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
153 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peter Tours and Mountaineering

So many one post wonders. I would think that someone on a year long world tour would write more reviews and many would be very helpful to know more of his opinions.

If you are thinking about a company like this to save a few dollars, read the article below.

mountkilimanjaroguide.com/kilimanjaro-cost.h…

So somethings may be too good to be true. Before booking with any company, ask them for their licenses.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Peter Tours and Mountaineering

Hi, It s didn't easy to compare different companies at the same country and the same route. Amost everybody try to see as many countries as he could and it is impossible to compare diffrent opperators in different contries. You could only say, are you satisfied or not with a service. It is also depens on the evaluater's expierence. I have been in many countries, but at Africa- first time (except Egipt) and should say that all our group was satisfied with Peter tours and mountaineering, but we haven't climb the Kilimanjaro. My son have been climbing Kili a year before and reccomend me this company. He was also happy and all memebers of his goup- 6 women and 1 guy reached the summit.

Regards, Birute

Mentioned in this post
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Peter Tours and Mountaineering

Its funny - I did some research on Trip Advisor and LP before I picked this tour and came across this link you've posted. We paid a little lesser than $1500 per head and we were just 2 of us on the climb so was worried that it might not be up to standard. The experience however did leave us pleasantly surprised. And you're right, I should start posting more given that I use TA and LP all the time!

Oh, and one more piece of advice. Get the portable toilet option - its a foam potty chair in a little tent with toilet paper and flush! Its about $250 extra, but SO worth it. Especially when you are at 12000 ft and cold and want to use the loo in the middle of the night - you don't want to make the walk to the smelly public toilet which is not much more than a hole in the floor.