We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is the best company to climb with?

HERTS, UK
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
what is the best company to climb with?

hi guys

me and my other half r thinking of climbing kilimanjaro next year and was wondering if any one had any info for me on what company to use? i have trekked alot around the world in south america, chile , nepal? and on all them time i treked with out a guild. is it ok to climb kilimanjaro with out a guild or is it best to go with a company? thanks guys speak soon

neil and sharon

Lawrenceburg...
Level Contributor
323 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what is the best company to climb with?

To climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, you must go with a trekking agency.

Go on Amazon.com and order the latest addition of Henry Stedman's book, "The Trekking Guide To Africa's Highest Mountain". I found it to be an excellent starting point in determining a trekking agency. I'd want the agency to a partner in KPAP. It seeks to improve the working conditions of the porters. As it's been said, you get what you pay.

I made a long list of items I was looking for out of a trekking agency. Date of trek and route taken were important to me. Response time to my initial email and the info provided. As things progressed, a clear understanding what will be provided during the trek, guide to trekker ratio, type of equipment they use and numerous other items I was looking at. It became a process of elimination. To compare agencies by price takes work and you have to put a value on things. Example, one agency will provide your group with your own privy and another one, you'll use what's there at camp. Do you get pick-up/dropped-off at the airport? Does the total price also includes your room/food before/after trek? Take your time and just don't look at route and trekking days. Who's the best is an never ending debate. I've used trekking agencies in several states and one in Europe. I'm extremely pleased so far in the choice I made...leaving in 25 days!

2. Re: what is the best company to climb with?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 pm, August 25, 2011
3. Re: what is the best company to climb with?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 pm, August 25, 2011
Worcester, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: what is the best company to climb with?

I have just returned from climbing Kilimanjaro last week and used the agency owned by Paul Shayo. If you google Paul Shayo you will find his contact details. He was very reasonable, arranged a pick up from the hotel in Mombassa, a hotel and a 6 day climb up the Machame Route. He supplied tents and porters and we had a wonderful team and our guide Mwynyi and assistant guide Everest were excellent. Debbie

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
119 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what is the best company to climb with?

We used Team Kilimanjaro and did the 7 day Machame Route in July 2011.

Team Kilimanjaro were FANTASTIC and set an excellent pace which got us to Uhuru Peak extremely comfortably. They also do some things a little differently, so we got to do a daytime summit which I would DEFINITELY recommend as it is much warmer than the "midnight shuffle", you also have a view to look at while climbing to the summit and to distract you from the climb, you are also guaranteed of being there in daylight and there are no crowds at the top - in fact you would probably be alone up there. Team Kilimanjaro offer EXCELLENT value for money and I do recommend them without hesitation.

All the best for your trip !!

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what is the best company to climb with?

Some outfits are much larger than others and it can make the experience very different. For example, High Peaks is small and Zara is huge with mass pre and post-processing of clients at the Springlands Hotel in Moshi.

Different operators also evidently provide different qualities and quantities of food. Different routes also result in different food preparations. For example, Machame has longer hikes each day resulting in lunch boxes being packed for lunch breaks on the trail. Rongai has shorter hikes each day with lunch being served on arrival at each camp. Hopefully, veterans can add their observations on comparisons in an article that I just started:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293750-c166759/Kilim…

Groups of one or two clients may be dining in the vestibules of their own tents more. Larger groups will have mess tents put up.

Kathmandu, Nepal
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: what is the best company to climb with?

Hey come to Nepal to Climb ISLAND PEAK IN EVEREST REASON. 6189m high. wel come and put yoyr foot print in everest BC.

Southend on Sea
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: what is the best company to climb with?

I would certainly agree with the day time summit a the weather is warmer. I just came back from Tanzania after hiking the Lemosho route with Masai Giraffe. It is a small local company and I would highly recommend it. The only thing that took away a little joy out of the hike was night time cold. It also means that you do not get to sleep for over 48 hours. So if you get a chance to hike day time. I would grab at the chance.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what is the best company to climb with?

Yes, a day time summit sounds wonderful.

You would miss the sunrise though.

You also miss the morning, mob scene, scrum of ridiculously bad behaving trekkers for photo sessions at the peak. And you also miss the night time cold.

Yes, the night time cold is no joy. It is cold at the beginning of the summit start. And it gets even colder when you're half way to the rim (and it's too late to put on more layers) and the sun can't seem to rise fast enough to warm you back up. That's when the joy gets sucked away and gets replaced by damned fear of frostbite in the fingers. Half way up is also when the insulated tube of my camelbak froze into dysfunction.

I don't know how Imozy figures 48 hrs of no sleep. I got up 22h30 on summit night, summitted, got back down and was back in my tent sleeping by 10h00. Got up again for lunch and trekked another 4 hrs or so to final camp and then went back to sleep. In hindsight, I should have stretched a LOT more before going back to sleep. After getting off the trail the next day and sitting in a van for a while, the limping began.

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
206 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what is the best company to climb with?

I did a daytime summit but by no means missed the sunrise. I just happened to be on the side of the mountain instead of the top of mountain. ;-)