We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zara Tours - October 2011?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Zara Tours - October 2011?

Hi there, my fianceé and I are looking to go to Kili for our honeymoon and a safari directly afterwards.

We are looking at the Machame Route w/ Zara Tours.

Anyone have any feedback on them? I've read generally good reviews.

We're planning to go in mid-October. Has anyone gone in mid-October and can let us know about how busy it will be there, and how the weather generally was like?

Also, what did you all pack? I've e-mailed Zara Tours a few times but they seem have to difficult understanding exactly what's being asked.

Any feedback about the tour company, the route, or Kili in general would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Stone Town, Tanzania
Level Contributor
244 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zara Tours - October 2011?

I am also planning, perhaps you can try also Pure Afro travels, i got this recommended by a travel agent in Slovenia. they organize tours for Slovenian tourists through Pure Afro in Tanzania ( kili and safaris). They also have fb page. She replied to me in less than 24 hours when i sent them my inquiry.

Mentioned in this post
Lawrenceburg...
Level Contributor
324 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zara Tours - October 2011?

mc_ottawa, go up to the "Search in box on of this site and type in Zara Tours. Many posts and comments have been made about Zara Tours. Also read Henry Stedman's book (3rd edition 2010), "The Trekking Guide To Africa's Highest Mountain". I found it very useful in deciding which trekking agency to utilize and it reviewed each route. The trekking agency I signed on with for my September climb, sent me a detailed information packet which included what and what not to pack plus it covered many other items to. So with a reputable outfitters, you'll know well in advance your packing list.

Billings, Montana
Level Contributor
259 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zara Tours - October 2011?

Hope your trip went well. Using Zara in March for both Machame and 5-day safari

moshi
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Zara Tours - October 2011?

Dear ottawa

Thanks for your review please resend you questions to bookings@zaratours .com or zara@zaratours.com we will reply to you within 24hrs

Thanks

zara

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zara Tours - October 2011?

If you would look at the right hand side of the web page on the Tanzania forum you will see a list of Top questions, you should review this list and you will find some of your answers. You should also find about 5 - 7 safari operators and send them your basic itinerary and they will provide you with a quote, most all will be able to arrange for a Kilimanjaro climb and a safari.

Zara specializes in the Kilimanjaro climb.

Mentioned in this post
Kilimanjaro National Park
Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
25 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zara Tours - October 2011?

I am also planning a Machame route trip with Zara in October of this year. They replied to me with plenty of information within a day or two. I haven't booked yet, but plan to in the next two months. I did find 3 very poor reviews of Zara here on TA so I would also recomend putting "Zara, Kilimanjaro" in the search box on TA and looking at all the reviews. I made two friends while in Antarctica and both had a wonderful experience with Zara on their Kili hikes (neither knew eachother before we three met) so my only concerns are the three reviews on TA. If anyone else has had experiences with Zara I would also love to hear about it. It is quite a bit of money to be throwing around without doing some research. It looks like, from the other reviews, that Zara and Ultimate Kilimanjaro are the same or are partnering companies.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Kilimanjaro
Mount Kilimanjaro
3,498 Reviews
Kilimanjaro National Park, Tanzania
Scotland
Level Contributor
354 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zara Tours - October 2011?

I think Ultimate Kilimanjaro sub contract their work to Zara. When we were looking at prices etc for Kili we approached both companies and Ultimate Kilimanjaro were cheaper than Zara even though both trips would be with Zara.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Kilimanjaro
Mount Kilimanjaro
3,498 Reviews
Kilimanjaro National Park, Tanzania
Harrow, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Zara Tours - October 2011?

Zara Tours is the best company to book the Kili Climbs likewise other tour operators also book kili climbs. If they have not responded then resend your email or give them a call and speak to specific person and address your email to that particular person you spoke to, this way you can get a reply very quickly.

Machame Route is interesting but Marangu Route is easier then Machame.

October is not a bad time for Kili Climb.

Lastly, ask Zara Tours to email a list of items you will need to hire, a list of the things you should pack. Infact, every company who books the Kili Climb has such informations ready. Tell them to email you all the necessary informations they may have related to the Kili Climb.

Wishing you all the best for the Kilimanjaro Climb

Mentioned in this post
Tanzania
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Zara Tours - October 2011?

oh hello jasmeen - again!

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Zara Tours - October 2011?

Hi,

I did Kilimanjaro with Zara Tours a couple of months ago. If we'd had sunshine throughout our trek, I would probably be writing that I'd recommend Zara for such a trip. Our team of guides and porters was perfect. I cannot stress enough how pleased we were with the people who took us up the mountain.

However, we had rain, rain and lots of rain. And this is why I would not recommend Zara (at least until they sort out the problem): our tents were complete rubbish, just not waterproof. We got soaked every night (and I mean water running through the tent). Considering that Zara is the local operator of GAP Adventures, we expected GAP-standard equipment but were really let-down.

Our porters and guides did the best they could and I have only praise for their hard work. But there's only so much you can do with bad equipment. This is not a matter of them putting up the tent wrongly, it's a matter of the tent not being waterproof in the first place.

Sort it out, Zara...

Mentioned in this post