We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summit night down jacket?

Guildford UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Summit night down jacket?

I'm a cold frog and would like advice on whether a down jacket with 500 or 700 fill would be sufficient without multiple layers? I'm looking at North Face jackets - anyone got any other ideas please - I'm clinbing in June.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summit night down jacket?

I would think you still need multiple layers.

you could be running into temps (wind chill factor) from 0 to -20. You will be leaving for the Summit at midnight which means you will be in these potentially very cold temps for 7-8 hours.

Only you know your tolerance to cold, but it would be a shame to go all that way and be thwarted by lack of warm gear on Summit night.

Matt

Scotland
Level Contributor
354 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summit night down jacket?

Hi, I have worn the 700 North Face jacket in -15 to -20 with minumum layers under it and was warm enough but there was no biting cold wind and I was walking at speed. (not going up Kilimanjaro, just in Scotland).

I dont know how these jackets fare in cold wind as have never used it in those conditions, in biting cold wind I always wear my waterproof which I know stops wind dead. I am taking my down jacket to Kilmanjaro when I go later this year as it will be ideal to wear at camp and a great addition to my sleeping bag as I am a cold sleeper and of course I will wear it on the climb but with a base layer of 2 Iceberg woollen teeshirts and will wait and see on the night if a fleece is necessary too. I will also have my trusty waterproof outer jacket. I always think its better to take something off rather than wish you had brought more, its safer too. Which route are you going up?

Mentioned in this post
Kilimanjaro National Park
Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,135 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summit night down jacket?

I'm doing the Kili climb in August (Machame in 6 days)and plan on bringing my ski wear (waterproof & windproof) and will go for the multiple layers(several wicking inner layers + fleece possibly).

4. Re: Summit night down jacket?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:30 pm, June 07, 2015
United States
Level Contributor
200 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summit night down jacket?

In June, you might encounter snow/rain, so make sure your down jacket is water-resistant/waterproof or have a hard shell that can go over it. If you encounter temps below 0F, you'll need more layers... a simple baselayer and fleece will probably be good enough.

Water + down stuffing = ineffective fill

CA
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Summit night down jacket?

Adding a question: What if I wear layers + my ski jacket (non-down filled), is that enough to keep warm on accent day? Does everyone wear a down-filled jacket on accent day, and if not, do those people not wearing a down-filled jacket wish they were?

United States
Level Contributor
200 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Summit night down jacket?

Techinical apparel is generally categorized as base layer, mid layer and outer layer.

The base layer is the first piece of clothing against the skin.

The mid layer is an insulating layer, which provides warmth.

The outer layer is a hard shell, designed to deflect wind, rain.

Each of these come in different thicknesses, from ultra light to heavy. So the system you use should take into account how cold it will be and your cold tolerance. Having lighter pieces provides for versatility. You can always double up on layers to increase the warmth.

For instance, during subzero (F) temps, a solid plan would be to wear 2 base layers, a softshell, a down sweater, and a hard shell. Using The North Face's current line as an example, that could be 2 XTC Lightweight Zip shirts, a Apex Elixir Jacket, a Redpoint Jacket, and a Venture Parka. These are items that you will use on your trek anyhow; they are not carried specifically for the ascent. (I'm not advocating TNF, just citing them for demonstration. Every brand will have its own models that are just as good.)

As the sun comes up and it warms, you can strip off layers correspondingly.

The mid layer does not have to be down- fleece is fine. Synthetic insultation is fine too.

A link on how to dress on Kilimanjaro:

ultimatekilimanjaro.com/blog/…

Edited: 3:34 pm, June 24, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
Eden Prairie...
Level Contributor
28 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Summit night down jacket?

We had our packable down jackets and used them on Breach day, Summit day and other times at night. Others in our group had jackets as you describe and got along OK also.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,135 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Summit night down jacket?

I summited in old skiwear and was perfectly fine.

10. Re: Summit night down jacket?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 28, 2011