We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit - Yellow Fever

Greater London...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Transit - Yellow Fever

I'm going to Kili from the UK in October and transiting for 2hrs in Nairobi.

Has anyone got any up to date info on whether the Kili authorities will ask me for a yellow fever vaccine certificate?

I was planning to take a few documents I found online which state that unless I'm transiting 12hrs+ I don't need the vaccine. However I'm aware that some travelers have had issues regardless of this rule.

11 replies to this topic
nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit - Yellow Fever

As long as once at NBO and for only 2hrs, you must stay air side and thus no need for YF inoculation. Deplane incoming flight, check board for gate for onward flight to Tanzania and go to it. Just don't step outside of the airside of the terminal. Also make sure when boarding initially they have tagged your bags onto JRO.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,755 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit - Yellow Fever

You may well be asked for a YF certificate upon arrival at JRO because the aircraft you've just deplaned originated in Kenya. That doesn't mean you're required to have one. Keep a printed copy of your itinerary and boarding passes so you can document you stayed airside for <12 hrs at NBO. Recent reports indicate you shouldn't have a problem.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit - Yellow Fever

Thanks for both answers... 4sandi you mentioned:

"Also make sure when boarding initially they have tagged your bags onto JRO."

Is that when I initially depart from London Heathrow?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit - Yellow Fever

We landed in Kili on 20th August after a 3 hour lay over in nairobi. As we got off the plane officials were asking to see documents. We showed our boarding passes from the 2 flights (LHR-NBO and NBO-JRO) and that was fine. It was all very informal. Visa's took along time. Too many tourists and not enough officials, and conflicting information from staff created delays! So I would recommend getting it before if you can and then you don't have to queue.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transit - Yellow Fever

Claire, fantastic, thanks! Yes we are looking to get our visas in the next week or so from the local London Embassy.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Transit - Yellow Fever

According to the Tanzanian Authority, as long as you do not leave the airport and are in the country under eight hours, you should be fine upon arriving in Tanzania.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transit - Yellow Fever

The Tanzania High Commission in London replied to my e-mail requesting same information as above and have clearly stated I will not need a Y.F. certificate re:transit through NBO if less than 12hrs, have printed and bringing along for our October safari adventure in Tanzania just in case there are problems at JRO. Very efficient service from THC re: visa.......back in 3 working days

Greater London...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transit - Yellow Fever

Bizarre! I emailed them the same question two weeks ago (Tanzania High Commission in London) and have had no reply. I'm just going to print a few things here and there. Got my visa however,very efficient. We are going in October too! Hope you have a great holiday.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transit - Yellow Fever

Hope you have a brilliant holiday as well........getting close now and feeling excited . I" m sure the YF vaccination issue will be perfectly fine

Save Reply
10. Re: Transit - Yellow Fever

I'm travelling to Tanzania in October as well from riyadh, Saudi Arabia through Addie ababa (3 hours transit)n hopefully The officials don't require me to show proof of yellow fever vaccine as well..

Reply to: Transit - Yellow Fever
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted