We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do near Dar Airport for one evening ?

Which Dar es Salaam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grasse, France
Level Contributor
195 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
What to do near Dar Airport for one evening ?

Hello

We are a family and we shall arrive at Dar airport by flight at 14:55, stay at Transit motel airport and leave the next day by Coastal Air flight at 9.00 AM.

I wonder what is possible to do late afternoon/evening for dinner and maybe to visit/shopping near this hotel ?

Thanks

Lusaka, Zambia
Level Contributor
170 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What to do near Dar Airport for one evening ?

Ok, stokeygirl may be right that 45 minutes is too fast on a weekday afternoon, but 90 minutes still strikes me as too long - at least, if the driver knows how to go (shortcut via Upanga, avoid Ali Hassan Mwinyi, etc.). Maybe an hour?

My suggestion to avoid Quality Centre isn't because it's a bad place, just that there's relatively little about it that feels "distinctly Dar" - you could be almost anywhere. Slipway is touristy, but is also full of locals and long-term residents.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,547 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: What to do near Dar Airport for one evening ?

I don't know what route they took but this time was in the Coastal transfer minibus. Since they do this drive multiple times a day, I imagine they probably know the best way. I was watching the clock as I was keen to get there in time for a shower and sundowners and it was definitely over 90 mins.

Other times I've done the transfer has been in a regular taxi.

Lusaka, Zambia
Level Contributor
170 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What to do near Dar Airport for one evening ?

It depends on what they consider to be the "best" way: the shortcuts via Upanga (e.g. Magore St to Lugalo to UN Road) can involve some massive speed bumps, which (if the vehicle doesn't have high clearance) the driver may be reluctant to go over.

When I was living in Dar (and frequently traveled from the airport to the peninsula), I found that taxi drivers would take the shortcut (going very carefully over the bumps), but often only if I requested it. Otherwise they were usually content to take it slow and easy...and in the late afternoon, Ali Hassan Mwinyi turns into a parking lot.

Grasse, France
Level Contributor
195 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What to do near Dar Airport for one evening ?

Thanks to all of you.

I would love to go to slipway but after the same Emirates flight, we all will be tired (we have also a Jetlag) as we are coming from Far East so we just want something a bit better and more fancy than an evening at the airport motel but 2 x 90 minutes is just too long. Quality center will probably not as great but I suppose the rest of the trip will be !

Many thanks again to all of you for your good advice

15. Re: What to do near Dar Airport for one evening ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 14, 2014