We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to get a taxi at the airport?

Which Dar es Salaam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
6 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to get a taxi at the airport?

We are arriving to Dar very early (2:30 a.m.) and are going to spend the rest of the night at Southern Sun hotel in the city centre. We have asked a hotel to arrange a transfer from the airport, but I've already noticed several Dar related reviews saying that the hotel drivers never arrive. As far as I understand we are going to be "attacked" by taxi drivers right at the arrival's area. Are these drivers official? Is there any official taxi stand? What is the normal price from the airport to the city centre? Are the official taxis safe enough? What is the approx. ride time to Southern Sun hotel from the airport at night? Any other useful tips related to safety?

Thank you in advance very much!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to get a taxi at the airport?

Hi

I have stayed at the southern sun and got a taxi there from the airport. This was during the daytime and there was a group of 6 of us so not sure on the price we paid. There was a guy organising the taxis and allocating drivers. Negitiate a price with him in advance and then re interate this price to the driver making it clear that this is what you will pay. Offer payment in dollars to get the best price.

With regards to the transfer time it took us over an hour and a half but this was in rush hour so it should be less than this to the hotel. The actual hotel is very nice and the staff are friendly. I would probably agree that it is best for you to arrange your own transfer though rather than rely on the hotel to do it for you.

I hope this helps

Safari Girl

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
23 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to get a taxi at the airport?

Been to Dar many times and stayed at Southern Sun too. Never had a problem with their hotel pick up. They use a preffered taxi service normally. Cost around US$25. The driver will be waiting just outside the terminal with a sign with your name on it. There will be plenty of other drivers trying to get your attention too. Just smile and say polite no and look for your name. Ride to Southern Sun 35 to 40 minutes with little traffic especially on a Sunday. Much longer in peak periods. I have used other taxi drvers no problem but as said before - negoitate price first and check they have ID card displayed. Keep your door locked and windows up. Enjoy your trip.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
6 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to get a taxi at the airport?

Thanks for your valuable help!

4. Re: Is it safe to get a taxi at the airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 10, 2014