We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline Checked Luggage Protection Available at DAR ???

Which Dar es Salaam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Airline Checked Luggage Protection Available at DAR ???

At Johannesburg airport they have plastic shrink wrap machines everywhere where you can pay to protect your checked bags from damage as well as preventing theft by baggage crews between there and your final destination. Does DAR airport offer these services? Besides not packing anything valuable in checked bags , what is suggested? We must check our bags due to carry on weight restrictions, even on international flights by South African Air.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,473 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airline Checked Luggage Protection Available at DAR ???

Sorry can't answer as I've never shrink wrapped checked bags for travel any destination anywhere in the world, not even to/from JNB. And for that matter, don't use other than a cable tie to secure my bags.

Maybe someone will have further info re the DAR airport.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airline Checked Luggage Protection Available at DAR ???

I never use them but I've seen one at the Dar airport, whether it's still there or not, I don't know. I doubt if it would deter a thief. Best deterrence is not to have anything in there which someone would steal, and if they did it wouldn't matter. I have traveled a lot, and never had any difficulty with someone opening my bag, at least that I knew of. At least I've never lost anything. But who would want my clothing.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
228 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Airline Checked Luggage Protection Available at DAR ???

I saw it at the Zanzibar airport, don't know about DAR.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,841 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airline Checked Luggage Protection Available at DAR ???

If they are gonna pinch it they will pinch it. Shrink wrap won't stop em and may even encorage them.

They would want my laundry even less than those of KGs and his is pretty awful!.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airline Checked Luggage Protection Available at DAR ???

Joburg and Buenos Aires are the only airports I've seen where this type of service is heavily-used.

So, I guess it's not needed in most other places. I've never used it. Not had anything stolen.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airline Checked Luggage Protection Available at DAR ???

I vaguely remember having seen this at Dar, but I'm not sure.

I'm not paranoid about luggage and have never had anything stolen- sometimes I don't even have a lock on my bag. The key is not to have anything valuable, or anything that might look valuable on an X ray- so I avoid anything electrical even if it's only a cheap alarm clock. I remember speaking to someone who had her bag broken into at Jo'burg, and had a pair of trousers and a rape alarm stolen. I think the rape alarm must have looked interesting on the X ray, and once the thieves had taken the trouble to break in they just took stuff anyway.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,473 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airline Checked Luggage Protection Available at DAR ???

Wrapped or not, anyone anywhere who wants to steal... only needs to pick up the bag and walk off with it.

Anything important - docs, cash/credit cards, meds, faux jewelry, camera, etc. - stays with me in my carryon. If someone wants my dirty cloths, be my guest.

Virginia
Level Contributor
160 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airline Checked Luggage Protection Available at DAR ???

Well here's the thing...if they suspect you have something "dangerous" in your bag, they have the authority to rip the plastic off and "inspect" it which is when theft would occur. In the end, "locks are for honest people".

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,841 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airline Checked Luggage Protection Available at DAR ???

Even dirty clothes have a value. Where would I get a replacement Pith Helmet and Puttees these days?

Lock it. You have taken reasonable precations to protect your insured property. Its insured then.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Airline Checked Luggage Protection Available at DAR ???

<<Pith Helmet and Puttees these days?>>

NOW you have got me worried, never given a thought to where on earth am I going to get replacements if they get stolen next trip?

Ivan