We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Homestay / Room finder or agency in Dar for college studet?

South Florida...
Level Contributor
424 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Homestay / Room finder or agency in Dar for college studet?

Hello, all. I told my daughter I would help her in her search by posting here on TA.

She's enrolling as an international student at UDSM next fall and she would prefer to do a homestay in the area as opposed to living in the dorms. I have read that there are faculty, staff, and other professionals in the area who participate in homestays. However, nobody at the UDSM has any information about this (in fact, they haven't responded to numerous queries nor 'phone calls).

Daughter is also open to sharing a flat, although not her first choice. She has traveled internationally on her own and after hostels, hotels, and homestays. she much prefer the latter.

Does anyone have any info on this, possible contacts, or the name of an agency who would handle such requests?

Thanks.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Homestay / Room finder or agency in Dar for college studet?

I would do this with a lot of caution. Our cultures are different, and when you are talking about a homestay you had better know the people well. Some parts of our cultural differences have a dark side, especially when we begin mixing genders. I do know a person who has a lot of extra rooms, but it would be in Kibaha which would make for a long commute every day and that would not be good for them to be so far away from the UDSM. Probably your best cahnce at something like this will be to contact some of the facility or administration at UDSM.

Dar es Salaam...
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Homestay / Room finder or agency in Dar for college studet?

Dear Kimanjo!

Homestay in Dar es Salaam is not comon. When I was studing at university I had to rent a room in neighbouhood, I had to go and back to my room everyday. Majority of students do the same due lack of accomodation facilities at the Universities. I live in Dar es Salaam if you let me know in advence of your arrival and daperture time I may assist you to get one that will be near UDSM, depending on your choice. get me at madahankanga@yahoo.com.

Thank you.

3. Re: Homestay / Room finder or agency in Dar for college studet?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 08, 2014