We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buses arusha to Dodoma tanzania

Which Dar es Salaam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Schenectady, New...
1 post
Save Topic
buses arusha to Dodoma tanzania

Hi: I'm traveling from Arusha to Dodoma and wondered if there is a comfortable option by bus. A local source says there is a large Arusha - Dar Es Salaam express but that stops in Dodoma. Does anyone know if this is right, how long the trip would take and what the company is? I have read about buses in Tanzania set up with tourists in mind with bathrooms - this kind of bus would be much preferred

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buses arusha to Dodoma tanzania

Might be preferred but you will get what you will get. There are only two or three bus lines which operate from Arusha to Dodoma via the Chilinze route. It doesn't go to Dar, but turns off towards Morogoro at Chilinze which is about 100km from Dar. Some of the buses I wouldn't get on (I think the name of one is Champion) as their buses tend to look like they wouldn't go 10km and they have a 3 2 seat configuration making it 5 seats across rather then what most have of 4 (2 x 2). The trip is a long one, starting out at about 06:00 and sometimes getting into Dodoma about 17:00 if there were no problems along the way.

An alternative to this would be to break the trip into two daily trips. One would take you from Arusha to Dar es Salaam on day 1, this would be about an 8 hour trip. I would suggest Kilimanjaro Bus, Dar Express, or there are others which might look comfortable to you. Then overnight in Dar, you could put up at the Rombo Green View hotel near to the Ubungo Bus Terminal, then the next morning get on the Shibibi Bus untra luxury bus and take that to Dodoma, it's a comfortable 6 hour ride stopping at Morogoro for 15 minutes. and getting into Dodoma in the afternoon.

There is also the option of taking the straight shot from Arusha to Dodoma down the Great Northern Road. This is a dirt/gravel road so this is going to be a dusty road trip and it might be cramped. The buses are not all that good since they travel this road, but this is the shortest route. I think this will take you something like about 6 - 7 hours to get to Dodoma on this road. Expect a bumpy ride.

2. Re: buses arusha to Dodoma tanzania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, October 26, 2012