We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency - dollars vs shillings?

Edinburgh, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Currency - dollars vs shillings?

I'm going to Tanzania next week for 7 weeks. I'm taking some US dollars as my main cash, but I'm also going to buy some Tanzanian shillings at Dar es Salaam airport since you can't buy them in advance here in the UK. Can anyone advise how often I will need shillings - or can most things be paid for with dollars? I'm mainly thing about things like taxis, food etc as I'm certain that touristy stuff will accept dollars.

Zanzibar Island...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency - dollars vs shillings?

hello,

its 1530 @ $1

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency - dollars vs shillings?

Can buy anything buy using Dollars when you accept their conversion rate.

Is highly recommended to use Shilling when you take services from ground vendor.i.eTaxis,food are all served in shilling but most souvenirs shops are using USD.

Have some shilling in little amount and can change your USD in some Bereu de change around the city and in some Hotels where necessary.

They payment in US for the price of shilling will cost you more and take your part for the bad conversion rate.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency - dollars vs shillings?

If someone accepts USD then they will give you a bad exchange rate. They must exchange the dollars into the local currency in order to use it, so there is a charge for this.

You will stretch your money further if you exchange your GBP or USD to the local currency, T Shillings, and then use the local currency all the time. One thing to remember is that you must exchange whatever money you have remaining back into GBP or dollars before leaving Tanzania, you can't do it after you leave.

Some will tell you that everyone accepts dollars, and most do, but the exchange rates they will provide are sometimes as much as a 30% difference.

Los Altos Hills, CA
Level Contributor
822 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency - dollars vs shillings?

Can you change un-used shillings back to dollars before leaving the country, ideally at either the Zanzibar or Dar Es Salaam airport?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency - dollars vs shillings?

You can do this at any Bureau De Change. Make certain that you do this before leaving the country, it is almost impossible to exchange them after you leave Tanzania.

Augusta
Level Contributor
471 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency - dollars vs shillings?

Yes, you can. There is a change place at the airport.

A quick exchange story:

The exchange rate for $100's and $50's is higher than the exchange rate for $20's, $10's and $5's. I found that odd.

Each time i did exchange at the place by the hotel, they person in the booth tried to rip me off. One time they tried to count my 4 $5's as 3, each time they tried to round down. So be aware.

I had good luck at a Bank ATM. Best exchange, I just used by ATM card and took out $100 worth.

Carl is right, you will make your money go further using local currency, even when negotiating anything (everything).

london
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency - dollars vs shillings?

You can change your sterling pounds to shillings and do all shopping in shillings.Good exchange rate at present for sterling.Change at airport in dar.I do that every year when I go

G G
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
487 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency - dollars vs shillings?

where is the cheat sheet for converting TZ Sh anywhere here

I do need it leaving in the AM to Kenya

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,983 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency - dollars vs shillings?

Look at one of your other threads, where it is discussed in detail.

or look at www.xe.com

G G
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
487 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Currency - dollars vs shillings?

thanks but that's not the one

I found it late last night it has a chart with different denominations then it converts into KES