We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dar es Salaam Airport Security etc?

Cornwall England
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Dar es Salaam Airport Security etc?

Just before we set off can you put me straight on what happens at Dar airport as I read yesterday that someone got charged US$50 by a security guard there just to let them pass. Can you talk me through security etc on arrival and departure and when lounges are open/or not?

We have our visa's

We have our Yellow Fever Certificates

Travelling Swiss Air Business Class.

Are well within our 15kg allowance with soft bags.

Outward Journey

Arrive next Monday 20.10. Is it obvious where to go if you already have visa's etc?

We are being met by someone from our hotel. Is the meet and greet area outside?

We fly with Coastal to Arusha and are being taken to the airport. Any tips about checking in with Coastal etc?

Return journey.

Fly from Beho Beho with Coastal and arrive at Dar at 16.40. A transfer from Dar Domestic to International is arranged.

Swiss Air flight leaves at 21.20. Will we be able to go to the business class lounge at 16.40? If not where is the best place to wait?

Thanks guys for all your help. Cheers Charlie

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dar es Salaam Airport Security etc?

Arriving there:

All people go to the same places, you will first go to passport control, there will be 3 or 4 lines for you to queue up at, ignore the signs and just get into any of the lines (visa purchasers are off the right), after going through the passport control officer walk straight ahead to the baggage belt if you have checked luggage; you can get a baggage carrier at no charge (ignore the people trying to hand you one for a tip). From the baggage belt go through the customs desk off to the right of the baggage belt. The green line will be on your far left I believe and is for those with nothing to declare, but they may stop you if they don't say anything just keep walking.

From the customs officers you keep walking straight ahead you will see the doors to get out, Just outside is where you will probably meet your hotel person, who will most probably have a sign indicating his hotel. He will take it from there. I would suggest that you go to one of the many bureau de change shops located in the airport and exchange your foreign currency into Local currency ( T Shillings ).

Departure:

When they bring you back to the airport from the hotel for your Coastal flight have them take you to the domestic airport.

You will have noticed that the Dar airport is not a large airport. The check in areas are on the other side of the terminal from where you left Customs when you arrived. You will go through a check point from the outside of the terminal to get into the check in area. They will not allow you into this area until about 2 hours prior to your flight. There you will go to the agent desk, I think that the business class is off to the far right, after which you will go to the departure area which is up an escalator (which doesn't always work) and that will put you into a departure waiting area. This area has a few shops and restaurant of sorts, and if you look off in the far left corner as you're facing the escalator which brought you to this area, you will see the business class lounge which is down some stairs.

So the short answer to your question is you can only get to the business class lounge about 2 hours before departure. They have complimentary drinks and snacks, a TV, easy chairs, etc. and it is air conditioned.

While your waiting to get into the departure check in area, there's only one place to wait and that's in the open area of the terminal. There are shops there and while you're there you might want to go to a bureau de change and exchange all your T Shillings back into the currency of your choice, you probably won't be able to do this after you leave Tanzania.

Bribes:

As for someone asking you for a bribe while going through the airport I have only had that happen once and it was from a luggage check in agent. I told him no (he had feigned that my bag was overweight) that my bag was not overweight and I would not pay him. He told me that it would only be a little cost, $10, and I said absolutely not. I than told him that I wanted him to go and get his supervisor, he said that would not be necessary, but I insisted that he go and get his supervisor and he said there would be no charge and got very friendly with me. So my advise for this is to always tell them no, especially if you don't have anything which they might not use against you. And then insist that they call their supervisor and if they do then tell their supervisor that they are trying to get a bribe from you and let the supervisor handle this. Now having said all that, sometimes discretion is the better part of valor and this is all according to your particular situation at the time.

Another way to handle someone asking for a bribe is to feign ignorance, telling them that you don't understand them and keep walking or start to talk with someone else. Don't expect others to come to your assistance in these circumstances; most all might ask for a bribe. It is illegal for them to do this; but it is sometimes common.

Edited: 7:38 am, June 17, 2011
Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dar es Salaam Airport Security etc?

Very helpful details from Karl.

Bribes:-

Some Security Officer are trying find the bread of the day Illegally,

Why did they Pay that US$ 50,any charge must be given a receipt.

When somebody tighten you up,just try to advise other officers on what is going on.Because they are afraid of each on Bribes issue.

Also the one who was taken that US$ 50 can go and report this to TANZANIA AIRPORT AUTHORITY website (www.taa.go.tz)

The main thing is to have the time and all flight details also if he or she has any Idea of the Security Guide.Hope they will know who was on Duty and will be a lesson for other Security Guides.Please Please advise him or her to do that for the benefit of other travellers.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Cornwall England
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dar es Salaam Airport Security etc?

Hi Karl, thanks so much I knew you would come up trumps!! I am going to print that off and take it with me on Monday and I am sure your reply will help a lot of other people as well. Cheers Charlie

Augusta
Level Contributor
458 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dar es Salaam Airport Security etc?

KARL: Can you clarify the visa issue? Do I have to pay $50/person when we land for a visa fee or is this a bribe?

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dar es Salaam Airport Security etc?

If you don`t have the Visa,that US$ 50 is a Visa fee.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,835 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dar es Salaam Airport Security etc?

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293748-i9227-k4…

Marty - you answered your own question about visa fees about 3 weeks ago.

See above. And I think its $100 for US citizens.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dar es Salaam Airport Security etc?

Marty.. All persons, with some few exceptions for certain country passport holders, must have a visa to enter Tanzania; and the visa has a cost according to where you come from (what passport you hold). For US passport holders the cost for a visa is $100. This is not a bribe, the money goes to the Tanzania government. If you get the visa at the entry point you will see this issued at Passport control by a uniformed border official.

You can also get your visa in advance of going to Tanzania by sending in your passport and a visa application to the Tanzania Embassy in Washington DC to to the consul at the UN in New York City . I would not suggest that you do this.

Bottom line, visa cost is not a bribe, and almost everyone must get it. And BTW, a Tanzanian coming to the US must have a US visa, and the cost is the same, $100.

Edited: 6:46 am, June 20, 2011
Cornwall England
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dar es Salaam Airport Security etc?

Hi all just returned from our fantastic trip and we followed Karls advice and had no problems at all at Dar airport. We didnt get asked for our Yellow Fever certificates. One other point our main luggage got weighed on our flight to Arusha but not our hand luggage so we need not have worried about our heavy camera equipment after all. The Flamingo Cafe was very nice to wait in for our return international flight.

Will post full reviews and trip report later. Cheers Charlie

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dar es Salaam Airport Security etc?

Welcome home Charlie. Glad to hear it all went off OK.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,835 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dar es Salaam Airport Security etc?

Very few people get asked for their YF certificates or have their luggage weighed.