I keep coming back here with 'dumb' questions, so I thought I would start a thread that I can add to as I ask more and more questions.
-Dumb first timer questions.
1. I have read I will have to pay a Visa fee, $100 per US citizen. Is it cash only? Do they take travellers checks or credit cards?
2. On the topic of cash: I have read that I should not use my credit cards, I have read I might not be able to use my ATM, I have read that there are lots of pick-pockets. So how should I deal with cash while in Dar? I figure I will need $300 visa fee, $70+/DayTransportation, another $100/day food and then trips or fun stuff I will need $100/day (there are 3 of us). I think I am going to need about $3,000 for the 10 day trip. How should I plan on bringing it.
3. In Morocco kids would run along with the cars begging for dimes/ Should I take some dime (quarter?) rolls?
4. Tel-com. I have T-mobile. The hotel I am staying has Free Wireless internet, and I have a blackberry. If I turn off my network connections (roaming, etc) can i still search the internet/use Facebook on my phone, etc, at no added cost from my provider?
5. I read where someone went to the area where the ferry leaves and got a private sail boat ride to a secluded island, swam, snorkeled, had lunch, etc. The boat was a hollowed out tree trunk. I have also read that in the same area the "Touts" are not to be trusted. Any suggestions? I love beaches, love to snorkel. I hate being mugged or raped.
Thanks to anyone reading this, and thanks to all that have answered prior questions. It may sound dumb, but this is a very big deal for us, we are not world travellers, and the closest I have been to this type of trip was a ride through "Lion Country Safari" or Epcot! (kidding).