We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ethiopian Airlines Baggage allowance.

Which Dar es Salaam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ethiopian Airlines Baggage allowance.

Does anyone know what the baggage allowance is for Ethiopian Airlines is please?

I have one backpack weighing 35 kilos, a rucksack weighing 12 kilos and a shoulder bag weighing 14 kilos. The rucksack and shoulder bag need to come with me as hand luggage.

Not sure if i'm up to my limit but if so, can i have extra allowance for charitable items? I'm taking about 7kilos of bits and bobs ..

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ethiopian Airlines Baggage allowance.

From the US, and this may be different from Europe, the last time I flew on Ethiopian I was allowed 2 checked bags of 50 pounds I believe. I didn't have 2 checked bags. There is a limit on the carry on, you are allowed one carry on size bag and a purse, laptop, briefcase, etc. I don't see many really checking this all that much (although I have in the past seen them take some and put it in checked luggage). You will most probably be OK, unless the shoulder bag is more like a suitcase then a purse.

If you try to get a charitable allowance, some airlines do offer this but you need to apply for this in advance and they must approve it. Ask the carrier if you want to do this. My experience has been that they typically disapprove of this. Your bits and bobs would need to go into another bag I would imagine.

England
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ethiopian Airlines Baggage allowance.

I think I've worked a bit of this out myself but Im still confused.

I had no idea it was all this complicated!!

It seems that passengers are allowed 23 kg of hold luggage each. So combined, my daughter and my luggage equated to a 46 kg allowance. So If my rucksack weighs 35 kg then im actually under by 11 kg .

However I wonder if i have understood correctly that one bag cannot exceed the 23 kg stated? So, what to do.... ?

Regarding the hand luggage, It's allowable to take a bag on not exceeding 7 kg and not measuring more than 45'' (combined length+height+width ) I could transfer some of my rucksack weight into my backpack and then that would pretty much give me the 46 kg limit for my hold luggage and the right limit for my hand luggage.

In addition, you can then take on a suitable size flight bag free of charge. I was thinking if I split my shoulder bag between myself and my daughter, would that be acceptable?

On the Ethiopian site, it keeps mentioning Adults luggage but my daughter has paid for a seat and so Im assuming she will have the same hand luggage rules...?

Can anyone help on this please? I want our Hold luggage to be classed and accepted as combined into one 46 kg bag but i want our hand luggage considered individually to both of us carrying equal bags and equal weight.

England
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ethiopian Airlines Baggage allowance.

Thankyou Karl. The shoulder bag is just like a large ethnic cloth bag. its about 50cm x 50cm and about 30 cm wide when full of stuff. The majority of the weight is our sleeping bags and sleeping bag silk liners / fleeces, inflatable pillows and mozzie nets ! if only i didnt have to take the sleepig bags .. They take up half my 75 ltr backpack! but i do really. :(

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ethiopian Airlines Baggage allowance.

If I understand this correctly, you want to put both you and your daughter's items in a single piece of luggage that weighs 46kg. I doubt they would allow that, it would be too heavy for the baggage handlers. They typically put a tag on bags that come close to 50 pounds (23 kg) that says the bag is heavy to alert baggage handlers.

If you broke this down into two bags of 23kg each that would be allowable.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ethiopian Airlines Baggage allowance.

Why do you have sleeping bags in your carry-on baggage? Check them in!

England
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ethiopian Airlines Baggage allowance.

Ahh, thanks. i have a good idea now that I may get away with what I have but that I may have to take an old suitcase with me and a second flight bag so that I can distribute the weight.

Hope they let my daughter have the same flight allowance as me! That would help greatly.

Now I'm armed with a bit more knowledge, I'll give them a call. Thanks

England
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Ethiopian Airlines Baggage allowance.

If I check my sleeping bags in , won't that class as part of my hand luggage allowance? Or do you mean just seperating them from the backpack and sending them through as my daughters hold allowance so that I have nearer 23 kg per piece for the hold ?

Thankyou

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ethiopian Airlines Baggage allowance.

If there are two people traveling, they will allow more. The key is to divide it into two bags. There is no way you're going to be overweight with that unless you are carrying the kitchen sink. I have seen people having to pay extra for humungous carry-ons before so try to put as much of it as possible on your check-in baggage.

England
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Ethiopian Airlines Baggage allowance.

Think I've cracked it :)

Just called Thomas Cook for some advice.

They advise taking half out of my Backpack and putting it into an old small suitcase so that there winds up being about 17 kg in each hold bag.

Next they advised me to put my 7 kg gifts into one of the bags to take it to it's 23 kg limit.

Then to take 7 kg of non essential items from my rucksack and shoulder bag and put them in the other hold bag to take that up to it's limit also.

I will be left with hand luggage weighing 19 kg

They said to split that into 2 hand luggage bags of 7 kg each

Which leaves 5 kg which, between us, can be taken on as free luggage !!

What a palaver :S Hope this help someone else !!

Thankyou for the help here

Scotland
Level Contributor
354 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ethiopian Airlines Baggage allowance.

Do you have your sleeping bag in a compression sack? Some are supplied with the sleeping bag when you buy them but some companies only give you a normal cloth stuff sack. If you use a compression sack your bag will take up less room in your luggage.