We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for Travel

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for Travel

I am going to Dar in August, it is my first time in Africa and I am nervous yet extremely excited!

Does anyone have any tips on etiquette (obviously common street sense and respect apply) but maybe on things that I should bring with me.

I am a vegetarian - any thoughts on places to eat?

Also, what are the "must-sees"?

Thanks for any help!

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,352 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for Travel

There is a large population of Indian origin as such there are plenty of really good vegetarian places to eat. Eating out vegetarian will be the least of your worries.

If you have time try a side trip to Saadani. beach and wildlife. Also try and find some of Karls's posts about cheap trips to Mikumi with cultural activites thrown in. Those posts will give you some good ideas.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for Travel

I am assuming that you meant things to see and do in Dar while you are there. If you look over on the right hand side of the posts you will find a list of Top Questions, one of which is for things to do in Dar es Salaam.

If you would like to do an inexpensive safari while you are in Dar then read the Right hand side items on taking a trip to Mikumi, you can do this very inexpensively.

As for tips on getting along in Tz, just be yourself and use your usual etiquette.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for Travel

The best things which you should bring with you are: A loss of your preconceptions of Africa and Africans; A good sense of humor so that you can chuckle in private at the many things which will be much different from what you're used to; A good sense of not wanting to change everything which you see as a problem, until you can see things through African eyes and not Western eyes; the expectation of being in Africa with all the amenities of the Western world; and the ability to go with the flow of things as they are.

I could write a longer list such as this; but if you can take these with you you'll get along fine.

4. Re: Tips for Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, September 04, 2010