We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

# or 4 day safaris from Mombassa

Toronto
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
# or 4 day safaris from Mombassa

Looking to do a 3 or 4 day safari while I am on business in Mombassa. Is it necesssary to go to Arusha ? A hoping to see the Big 5 and to stay in nice accommodations - not super expensive though ...

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,197 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: # or 4 day safaris from Mombassa

Mombassa is in Kenya. There is a reserve near there called Shimba Hills or you can head to Tsavo East and West which are about a half day drive from Mombassa along reasonable road. I would not advocate coming over the border into Tanzania for such a short trip.

The only "5" you will score will be a "High 5" . Settle for 3 or 4.

2. Re: # or 4 day safaris from Mombassa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, March 20, 2010
nyc
Level Contributor
14,646 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: # or 4 day safaris from Mombassa

Easier and less expensive to just stay in Kenya. Avoids needing another Visa for Tanzania and Yellow Fever inoculation for entry to Tanzania.

As mfuwe - you can visiit nearby Shimba Hills, or better to Tsavo E/W or Tsavo E/W & Amboseli. If sufficient funds, you can consider flights to/ from Mombasa and the Masai Mara. Here you'll most definitely find the Big-5, though leopard can be elusive.

USA
Level Contributor
703 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: # or 4 day safaris from Mombassa

Since Shimba Hills was mentioned, I'd be interested in more information on that. If you went, what all did you see, how were the eles, how long did you stay, what did you like best about it, where did you go before/after? Anything else.

I'd agree that the Maasai Mara would be ideal for your 3-4 days.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,197 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: # or 4 day safaris from Mombassa

Not sure I would agree with Masai Mara in the time scale. It will take a day there and a day back that you could usefully devote to seeking the other 3.

Ellies, Buffs and Lion in Tsavo.

6. Re: # or 4 day safaris from Mombassa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, September 17, 2010