We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lake manze camp selous

uk
4 posts
Save Topic
lake manze camp selous

has anybody stayed at Lake Manze Camp in the Selous Nature Reserve?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lake manze camp selous

I have - twice.

(I'm sure you have another question, but I don't want to anticipate it!).

uk
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: lake manze camp selous

Thank you. We have been recommended it above more luxurious camps, for its fabulous wildlife and genuine safari experience. You must have enjoyed it if you have been twice - do you recommend it? Thank you

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lake manze camp selous

Yes - I enjoyed it. It has no electricity (except the odd communal bit for the office and battery-charging), and meals are usually round a communal table, which I much prefer to separate tables.

The wildlife is good, and similar, if not the same, to the other camps in the Selous. There's also the Lake, which attracts a variety of game through the camp. At breakfast in November, we had close sightings of 4 elephants, several buffalo, impala, baboons, all without moving from the table.

The waterways also provide close-ups of fabulous birdlife and hippos, crocs, etc. But similar to other camps there.

However, I would say, with a couple of exceptions, the game was mainly dispersed. The exceptions were giraffe, lion and wild dog, of which we had several good viewings (of all three of these).

The staff are friendly and enthusiastic. The guides are good, but probably won't claim to be the most experienced in the Reserve. However, if it is your first trip and you are looking for value for money, this might not be such a high priority to you.

I had personal reasons for going back, and I would say I am not a typical visitor, who would probably go only once.

If you want to read genuine visitors reviewsof the camp, try looking at the web sites of UK operators like Tanzanian Odyssey, or Expert Africa, who publish all feedback unedited. In addition to TA of course.

And Lake Manze has a Facebook site if that is of interest to you, as well as its own site under Adventure Camps. However, don't expect the animals to be where they were when the photos were taken! We were disappointed to discover the leopard and cubs had been killed, probably by lions, a week or so before we arrived.

4. Re: lake manze camp selous

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, July 06, 2010