We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow Fever Shots and Visa

Which Dar es Salaam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Yellow Fever Shots and Visa

Just wondering is it true that you can get free yellow fever vaccinations at Dar Es Salaam airport on arrival. Is it a requirement to have these shots when entering Tanzania?.

Also is it still easy to get Visas at Dar Es Salaam airport on arrival for Australians and Canadians. Is the fee for us $50USD?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellow Fever Shots and Visa

I don't know if it's free (or available), but I would have reservations about letting a total stranger in an African (or any) airport stick a needle in my arm. However, if you are happy to do that, that's your choice.

The YF certificate is required, yes, although there may be exceptions.

It's very easy to get a visa at the airport. The Tanz High Commission will give you the fees. It's $US50/ £38 )if buying in advance from High Commission) for UK visitors.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,849 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellow Fever Shots and Visa

Ha Ha. Yes it IS true but I would not advise it. (you technically don't need it but it solves hassle if you get it.)

Folks who need it but don't have it WILL get a freebie.

Q. Do you want to meet a blunt needle of dubious provenance adminstered by someone who may not be versed in its use?

Thought not. Get it at home.

The Visa does not hurt anything but your wallet and is available on entry..

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellow Fever Shots and Visa

Hi, ref the yellow fever jab, it’s technically not needed, as you are not arriving from a YF transmission country. BUT you WILL need it to get BACK into Oz unless you have been out of a YF area for at least six days, which is not going to happen unless you go first for 6 days to a country where YF is not required, as in most of Europe.

As I understand it, the jab is not free at port of entry into Tanz, its usually around $55. and you cant be certain that the person administering it is qualified in the way we would expect, or that the jab is kosher, AND the needle sterile. So, you have little choice but to get before leaving Oz.

Ivan

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellow Fever Shots and Visa

Hi, sorry. didnt see Mfuwe's comment about it being free, but as he says, could be suspect.

Ivan

Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellow Fever Shots and Visa

Thanks for that info. I am actually living in Turkey for 2 years and travelling to and from there via Dubai and for my Tanzanian holiday.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellow Fever Shots and Visa

Hi, Neither Turkey or Dubai have a YF requirement. I would think the medical facilities in Turkey are superior to arrivals in Tanz.

Ivan

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,849 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellow Fever Shots and Visa

I am not certain it is free in Dar, I just picked that up from OP. I have never been daft enough to find out. I would get it done in Turkey if that is feasible.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,473 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellow Fever Shots and Visa

Last I heard, it was free... but as others, I wouldn't unless it was dire and some emergency!

If arriving from Turkey via Dubai, even on an OZ passport, you technically do not need the YF inoc. However, it's always wise to have (it is good for 10/years), rather than possible hassle on return to Turkey or even to OZ.

"Penny wise, pound foolish"... one shouldn't look for cheap when it comes to health or safety.

Townsville
Level Contributor
54 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellow Fever Shots and Visa

This has been interesting thread. Being an aussie I have been worried about having problems when we return. After departing Tanzania we return home via Keyna & Singapore. Time frame between Tanz & Aus is 6 days 45 mins.

Kelsie - have you found anywhere in Australia to get the Yellow Fever Shot? We are from Townsville & daughter from Darwin. Just having trouble getting info on requirements for re-entry.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellow Fever Shots and Visa

Hi, the rquirment for YF on return to Oz is shown in the WHO list see

http://www.who.int/ith/ITH2009Countrylist.pdf

Ivan