We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewellery in DAR

Groningen...
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Jewellery in DAR

Hi fellow travellers,

A dream of mine has always been to have a ring with a family emblem. I was told that the gold prices in DAR are low/fair and I was wondering if anyone here knows a decent/reliable goldsmith or jeweller. Maybe someone even knows how much something like that would cost or how long it would take.

Thanks!

- Kingbuff

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewellery in DAR

I would suggest that you go to Gem Point on Indria Gandhi street in Dar es Salaam. This would be between Morogoro Road and Samora Streets. There are many jewelry shops on this street.

I have dealt with Gem Point on quite a few occasions and always found them to be honest in their dealings. You must negotiate the price but once negotiated they will be honest in their dealings.

I once had them make a pendent for me. We negotiated the price and when I returned to pick the item up (which was in 2 days) after giving me my pendent and examining it and telling them that I was satisfied with the work; they went and got me some money and gave it to me. I asked what was this for, and they told me that they had estimated the weight of the gold which would go into the pendent, but they overestimated and didn't use as much gold as they thought they would. So this money was for the gold that they didn't use. I couldn't believe it. I immediately told them that I wanted to shake the hand of an honest man; and since then I've typically went to them for anything I needed done.

There are probably others in that area who are just as honest, but I know that these folks are.

2. Re: Jewellery in DAR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, January 13, 2010