We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety at Dar es Salaam

Which Dar es Salaam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Safety at Dar es Salaam

I would visit Tanzania the following weeks, i will stay at Dar for a while and then i will continue my trip in other areas. I have about 10 years to visit the country and i was actually a child the time i travelled there. Now i will be alone. Im planning to stay at Movenpick Royal Palm...

Is it worth? If there is any kind of comment let me know, and secondly is it safe to walk at night? or during the day??

I would like to walk from my hotel to the Tai Hua Shan Zhuang chinese restaurant at Jamhuri Street..

Is this possible? Do i have to pay attention twice or is better to take a taxi and how much I should expect to pay? Is it easy to find taxi after the meal outside and how frequent is to get riped off from taxis..?

Thanks for any helpfull replies or tips in advance.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety at Dar es Salaam

Taxis are easy and cheap. They will have a small sign on their fender which indicates that they are in fact a taxi. Before you get into the taxi negotiate the fare, if you wait until you are in the taxi and on your way there is no way you can negotiate the fare. From the Movenpick the taxis will increase the price.

Take a taxi at night, don't walk about the city at night. You will probably be robbed if you do.

This is a large city of 3 million people, so you need to act like you would in all very large cities, be cautious, don't trust street touts; and definitely don't go with them.

The Chinese restaurant you speak of is very good, but take a taxi. You could walk there in the daytime but it's a long distance and a taxi ride from the Movenpick should cost no more then 4,000 TSH (at 1,300 TSH = $1). When you get there there is a taxi stand close by or you can have the taxi that brought you wait and take you back.

For directions to the restaurant tell them that this is on Jamhuri street very close to Morogoro Road.

Finally, it is safe to walk about during the day; but never at night.

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety at Dar es Salaam

Hi gas,

In addition:

Don`t think even to walk at night in Dar.

It not safe at all especially for Mzungu(white one).

I do not recommend to take a Tax along the Street,Royal Palm is Upmarket Hotel and there are reliable tax drivers in their compound.

You may take one of them to dropp you off at the restaurant,and on the way Back try to talk to the restaurant Attentant to recommend a good and reliable tax driver to send you back to Royal Palm.

Taxi drivers are working throughout the night in Dar.

Regards,

zanzilandholidays

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety at Dar es Salaam

Thank you very much both!!!

These are very valuable advices.

As for transportation from Dar to Iringa..

Do you have a bus company to suggest..I have heard there is a flight too???

Scandinabian bus routes is an option, but buses without Air Condition??....will be better to hire a driver to go there..Do you have any recomandation??...I dont really trust the buses as they seem old and without AC....Flights must be pretty expensive if there are any...

A company that rent a car with a driver would be the best choice for me....and of corse i will have to pay the returning to Dar...

Any tips..??.Thanks

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety at Dar es Salaam

I have taken the bus many times, including the bus to Iringa. If they don't have air conditioning it's still not too bad. I would suggest Scandinavia Bus, but there are others.

It will cost about $150 a day for a car with driver.

The trip to Iringa will be about 6 - 7 hours. You will travel through Mikumi Park and will probably be able to see some animals along the roadway. Sometimes they are close to the road and sometimes not.

5. Re: Safety at Dar es Salaam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:05 am, April 23, 2009
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety at Dar es Salaam

Very good infos!!! I will probably rent a car with a driver...The price is reasonable....

Thank you Karl and Zanzilandhollidays...

You are very helpfull...

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety at Dar es Salaam

Zanzilandholidays i contact them...

I recieved a huge rip off offer...

Unaceptable they change the offer 3 times avoiding to provide thwe total cost...

Well after 3 changes they offer 400 dollars excluding fuels!!!!

For the same transportation with driver in Europe you will pay much less with a Mercedes Taxi...

Im really dissapointed with it...

140 dollars seems reasonable but they charge 0,65 every kilometre in that price....tottaly 400...

I will take the bus :(

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety at Dar es Salaam

For most rental companies in Tanzania they charge an additional kilometer charge; this is not unusual. Renting a private vehicle there is sometimes expensive, according to where you want to go.

Safari vehicles there are rented out to other safari operators at about $250 per day. You cannot compare them to European prices.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety at Dar es Salaam

Probably but im dont make a tour and secondly before one year a friend of mine had rent a Toyota Rav there for 90 dollars per day....without a driver...they charge 20 dollars the driver...so the logical for me would be maybe a 2 day charge even for the alone return of the car...like 200 dollars...ok maybe an aditional cost of 50 dollars for the fuels ...

but 400 dollars without the fuels are definetely a rip off...

Even for a tour....

10. Re: Safety at Dar es Salaam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, October 22, 2009