We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist visa upon arrival at JRO airport?

Seattle
1 post
Save Topic
Tourist visa upon arrival at JRO airport?

We are planning a trip to Tanzania mid Jan'09. Can you get tourist visa upon arrival at JRO airport? What jenpaperwork and cost? Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist visa upon arrival at JRO airport?

There are quite a few posts on this forum concerning this.

I am assuming that you have a US passport since you are from Seattle, for a US passport it will cost you $100, so have that in correct change as they might not be able to make change for you. They will provide you with a landing card for entry into Tanzania on the flight into JRO, complete this card. That's all that you need (money and the form), and your passport of course. After getting your visa you can proceed directly to the baggage belt then on to customs; you don't need to go through passport control.

There is something else which you should be aware of, the Yellow Fever International Vaccination certificate. They are checking some for proof of a Yellow Fever vaccination, the rules for this are sketchy and I think it would be good advice to have this with you when you enter Tanzania, otherwise if they feel it is necessary that you be vaccinated they will administer the vaccination at the gate (you don't really want them to do that, and I'm certain that you would prefer the health standards of Seattle rather then having Dwaudi jabbing you at the airport)

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist visa upon arrival at JRO airport?

My advice would be to apply for a tourist visa in your home country. If you don't mind standing in a very long queue in the heat after a long flight then get your visa at the airport. Make sure you have the correct amount of cash to pay for the visa as NO cards are accepted.

I learnt my lesson on my first trip there and ever since I have always applied for my visa in advance in my home country. That way I can just sail through passport control in a matter of minutes.

Cary, NC
Level Contributor
267 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist visa upon arrival at JRO airport?

Getting visa at JRO is very easy. Just complete the blue card that you will get before landing and have a new $100.00 bill. I was there last month. The line at the visa window was shorter from the line at the passport check. If you are flying directly from Amsterdam you do not need YF vacine.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist visa upon arrival at JRO airport?

Whether you got the Visa ahead of time by sending completed application with photos, your payment and passport to the Embassy in Wash, DC or purchase on arrival doesn't much matter. Honestly though, these days most people don't like to send their passport anywhere, so choose to buy the Visa on arrival and for Tanzania, you can do this.

Whether you are one of those who already have Visas or have to purchase, the lines can be just as long or short. Non issue really as you still have to wait for your bags to come off the plane so why not have something to do while waiting.

Mentioned in this post
Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourist visa upon arrival at JRO airport?

I always sit as close to the front of the plane as I can and then I don't dilly dally on my way to the visa window. I'm usually one of the first people there so it's never a long wait to get my visa on arrival.

Besides, if you get through real quickly, then you're waiting for your luggage anyway.

Somerville, New...
Level Contributor
866 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourist visa upon arrival at JRO airport?

Karl,4 sandi,Brian,mfuwe..i need you! lol

I am aware of the YF debate and Im getting it anyway. But, just curious...why do they not require it if one is coming directly from Amsterdam? Will they not ask for it? I am staying in Amsterdam for three days before going to Tanzania....does that exclude me or as you both suggest...GET IT ANYWAY ( so I am not forced to get one there)? Theres no way i am geting one there and i want my trip to start off smooth. But, i was just curious. :)

Mentioned in this post
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourist visa upon arrival at JRO airport?

The regs say that you need it if you are arriving from a YF affected area, and Holland isn't a YF affected area, Kenya is. They (Tz officials) are not trying to protect you, they are trying to protect the people of Tz from importing YF into Tanzania. When you land in another African country then you are arriving from a YF affected country. They don't know if you got off the plane, left the airport, or whatever; and in fact they don't care, they just require anyone arriving from a YF affected country to have the YF vaccination according to their regulations.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourist visa upon arrival at JRO airport?

Worm - Karl got it right.

No YF in AMS or the US or UK/other Western European countries.

If you had stopped in an infected African country, i.e., Kenya and left the secure airport area, you'd have a visa or entry stamp in your passport. The Tanzanian Immigration folks would know you'd been and request proof of YF inoc or do the jab on site.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Somerville, New...
Level Contributor
866 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourist visa upon arrival at JRO airport?

Oh now i understand. Thanks Karl and 4sandi!

As you both always suggest, i am getting it anyway, so I am not forced to get one at the gate. (in which case I wouldnt be certain if the needle was "fresh".)

Nikki:)

10. Re: Tourist visa upon arrival at JRO airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, August 10, 2009